Large roofless courtyard castle of varying dates with
extensive walled garden at N. Forecourt or 'pleasance' at W
abutting road approached through archway. Rubble, tooled
ashlar dressings, some grey granite and some red sandstone
Entrance from road through round-headed and roll-moulded arch
under gabled overthrow dated 1656 to forecourt.
Principal castle defensive enclosure entered from forecourt
through W curtain wall incorporated in 2-storey range; centre
low vaulted passage flanked by former guardrooms leading to
Courtyard dominated by 15th century large 2-storey rubble
keep, a tower with off-centre round-headed entrance with large
keystone leading to vaulted undercroft; front E wall of upper
hall broken away to reveal high barrel vaulted chamber. Tall
3-stage angle drum tower at NG adjoining roof less 2 and
3-storey range fronting inner court. This range has 2 carved
coats of arms incorporated, one dated 1577 with Scottish
royal arms, the other (above entrance) dated 1603 with royal
coat of arms.
Courtyard flanked N and S with ranges abutting the outer
walls; roofless range at S; at N 2-storey range with 1st
floor approached by forestair with partially intact slated
roof, used as a farmhouse in 19th century.
Outside the central square walled enclosure at N is large,
high rubble walled garden. At S a small bothy with random
rubble N elevation and 3-bay 19th century masonry S elevation
with granite long and short dressings, end stacks and slate
Statement of Special Interest
Keep said to be 15th century and to have been built by
William Forbes (son of Sir John Forbes of Druminor) who came
into Pitsligo by his marriage with only daughter of Sir
William Fraser of Philorth. 1663 coat of arms of those of
Alexander, 2nd Lord Pitsligo. The royal coats of arms are for
James VI who was 11 in 1577; that of 1603 may commemorate
James' succession to throne of England at that date.
Scheduled Ancient Monument.