Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.


Status: Designated


There are no additional online documents for this record.


Group Category Details
100000020 - See Notes
Date Added
Local Authority
Planning Authority
Port Of Menteith
National Park
Loch Lomond And The Trossachs
NS 53374 98253
253374, 698253


Loch Lomond And Trossachs National Park Planning Authority

Mid 19th century farm steading. Built as the Home Farm of the Gartmore Estate, Gartartan is located to the NE of Gartmore House (see separate listing). The farm steading is located on higher ground and to the N of Gartartan House (see separate listing). The farmhouse and steading were probably built at the same time, as they share similar architectural details, such as rusticated hoodmoulds to windows. Originally U-plan, with a water-powered saw mill adjoining to the N, the steading is a working farm, and so consequently it has been extended and altered. Most of the W range of the steading is in the process of being converted into cottages (2004). The farmhouse and steading contribute to the architectural character of the Gartmore estate, as a good example of a solidly built 19th century home farm and saw mill built to serve a large estate.

Roughly U-plan composed of a fine central (N) range with 2-stage entrance tower with slightly swept pyramid roof flanked by 2 single storey ranges to W and E.

N RANGE: Courtyard (S) elevation: Central tower with segmental-arched entrance pend to ground floor, with blank sandstone datestone, band course and louvered window above. To left, cartshed with 4 segmental arches supported by painted cast-iron columns. A 5th arch has been infilled with brick as a result of the conversion of most of the adjoining W range into cottages and flats. 3 small windows to 1st floor (1 blocked) with modern rooflights above. To the right of the central tower, barn with enlarged opening to left, blocked doorway to right, 3 small louvred windows to 1st floor.

Adjoining the N elevation of this central range is a former saw mill. Single storey with various openings, nothing of the mill workings remain. This water-powered saw mill appears on the 1st and 2nd edition Ordnance Survey maps, fed by an aqueduct from the Gartmore Estate to the W. A narrow segmental masonry arch carried water in a cast-iron trough over the main road to the saw mill (Hume 1977, 2:279). According to the present owners (2004), the aqueduct was destroyed in a traffic accident in the late 1970s. The NMRS at RCAHMS holds photographs showing the aqueduct. All that remains of the aqueduct is a large pipe protruding from above the pend on the N elevation of the entrance tower.

W RANGE: Long single storey range, which according to the present owner, were formerly stables, currently converted or in the process of conversion into private cottages. Various openings, including single window in S gable with hoodmould.

E RANGE: Much altered single storey range comprising byres and barns. Various enlarged and blocked openings.

The central courtyard of the steading is now occupied by 3 substantial gabled barns.


The steading has been comprehensively altered and modernised. However, some concrete byre divisions remain.


Random rubble with red sandstone quoins, margins and rybats to openings, many of which are currently (2004) blocked up. Some hoodmoulds to windows. 1970s Historic Scotland photographs show that the steading was formerly whitewashed. Slated, asbestos and modern corrugated pitched roofs with various rooflights, pyramid roof to tower with fine wrought iron weathervane. Variety of timber sash and case windows and louvred openings. Large metal and some timber boarded doors.

Statement of Special Interest

Gartartan Home Farm Steading is part of a B-Group together with Gartartan House.

Gartartan Farm is a working farm. It appears on the 1st edition Ordnance Survey map (1859-64) as Gartartan. It was part of the Gartmore Estate until it was broken up in the mid 20th century. The steading and farmhouse are now in separate ownership (2004).



1st edition Ordnance Survey map (1859-64); 2nd edition Ordnance Survey map (1898-1900); Ordnance Survey Namebook (1898); Hume, J R, The Industrial Archaeology of Scotland, 2 vols (London, 1977), 2:279; NMRS. Additional information courtesy of present owners (2004).

About Listed Buildings

Listing is the way that a building or structure of special architectural or historic interest is recognised by law through the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest using the criteria published in the Historic Environment Scotland Policy Statement.

The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing and if a number or name is missing from a listing address it may still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing can also cover structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The planning authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. Since 1 October 2015 we have been able to exclude items from a listing. If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.

If you want to alter, extend or demolish a listed building you need to contact your planning authority to see if you need listed building consent. The planning authority advises on the need for listed building consent and they also decide what a listing covers. The planning authority is the main point of contact for all applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at You can contact us on 0131 668 8716 or at


There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to GARTMORE HOUSE, GARTARTAN HOME FARM STEADING

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 21/03/2019 21:51