Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

NORTH BERWICK, ABBOTSFORD ROAD, CARLEKEMP STABLES AND GATEPIERSLB1378

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
07/12/1988
Local Authority
East Lothian
Planning Authority
East Lothian
Parish
Dirleton
NGR
NT 53734 85411
Coordinates
353734, 685411

Description

John Kinross, RSA, 1898. Single storey, U-plan stable

block and cottages around cobbled court, in Elizabethan

Cotswold style. Squared and snecked Rattlebag stone,

ashlar dressings. Moulded margins and mullions.

W (COURTYARD) ELEVATION: outer wings gabled with blank

masonry and stepped skewputts. Gabled bay breaking

eaves with hayloft above carriage doors at centre of

recessed main range. Obelisk finials to skewputts (one

missing), and decorative wrought-iron weathervane at

apex. Ornately carved lintel to former hayloft opening

with initials JC. Depressed arch doorways and mullioned

lights to courtyard elevations. Side wings asymmetrical;

battered stack with ogival decorative panel at centre of S

wing.

E (REAR) ELEVATION: gabled bay at centre, comprising 2

tripartites at ground and bipartite in gablehead with

decoratively carved lintel; bipartites flanking; tripartite

and blank walls to outer right. Hoodmoulded 4-centred

doorway with small hoodmoulded tripartite at right, to

outer left bay.

Square lead-paned pattern to casement windows. Gablet

coping. Moulded coping to stacks. Westmoreland slates.

Decorative lead guttering and gutter heads.

GATEPIERS: gabletted ashlar piers with gablet coped

rubble walls flanking. Boarded timber gates, swept up

and with carved detail above. Decorative bronze door handle.

Statement of Special Interest

Kinross became an expert in stable designs, consulted by

Lorimer for the Rowallan stables. Motor house E of original

house, built simultaneously. Stables now converted for

residential purposes. See Carlekemp.

References

Bibliography

ARCHITECT vol LXXVI September 7th and 14th 1906.

C McWilliam LOTHIAN 1978 p 132.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to NORTH BERWICK, ABBOTSFORD ROAD, CARLEKEMP STABLES AND GATEPIERS

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 18/08/2019 20:23