Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

BALINTORE CASTLELB13757

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
A
Date Added
15/01/1980
Local Authority
Angus
Planning Authority
Angus
Parish
Lintrathen
NGR
NO 29028 59015
Coordinates
329028, 759015

Description

William Burn, 1859-60. Tall, 2-storey, full basement and attic Baronial mansion. Relatively plain elevations, compact, almost square plan, picturesquely massed, lively roofline, with crowstepped gables, Early French Renaissance scrolled dormerheads, fishscale slated conical roofs to angle turrets with iron ball finials at apices, grouped square-shafted Jacobean stacks. Stugged and squared red sandtsone in courses, polished ashlar dressings. Plinth, string courses between floors, stepped strings at upper level to SW and SE turrets; gargoyles. Moulded window surrounds, 4-pane sash and case glazing. Principal rooms arranged to S and E around central 2-storey saloon, entered off gallery passage at 1st floor; service in basement including brick groin-vaulted servants hall below saloon; female servant's bedroom over saloon at attic. Iron beam construction. Single storey L-plan kitchen offices wing attached at N. Prominent picturesque site.

W (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: asymmetrical, square, 3-storey entrance tower to left, with elaborate Jacobean doorpiece, with ringed shafts, cable moulded cornice, elaborate strapworked sopra-porte panel surmounted by small pediment, heraldic panel lost (see NOTES) and originally flanked by die-blocks with urn finials; 2-leaf, 8-panel oak door; gable flanked by corbelled angle turrets, full-height angle turret at NE. 2nd bay recessed between towers, recess infilled at basement and ground floor levels by stair with arrow slit detail, and parapet stepped with rake of the stair within; 4-storey and basement square advanced stair tower to right, buttressed at ground, with 3-storey angle turret corbelled from 2nd stage at NE, spired bartizans at upper stages only to other angles, telescoping from slim to fuller circumferences above at W angles, parapet balustered. Single end bay and full-height angle tower containing stair clasping to right.

S ELEVATION: symmetrical, 3-bays, with slim full-height circular angle towers (stair in left turret only). Centre bay with full-height projecting canted bay window, 3-light, corbelled to square on vigorous corbel brackets at attic. Plain outer bays with scrolled dormerheaded windows.

E ELEVATION: 4-bay with angle towers. Symmetrcial except for distinctive 3-light canted window projecting at 1st to left, corbelled from emormous wall buttress, and with masonry roof rising through 2nd floor (addition of circa 1870).

N ELEVATION: masked at ground by KITCHEN WING: L-plan, surrounding kitchen court to N of house, and originally enclosed at W by screen wall, now lost (see NOTES); crowstepped gables, square-plan gazebo/turret with steply-pitched and bell-cast pyramidal roof and fishscale slates originally terminating screen wall at NW.

INTERIOR: compartmentalised Jacobean plaster ceilings to principal rooms and saloon, oak panelling and gallery screens at saloon, 4-panel shuttering, and some simple marble chimneypieces survive (1991, see NOTES).

Statement of Special Interest

Variously spelt (also Balentore).

Interior largely lost (1991);

NMRS photographs of 1968 show principal staircase, diningroom, drawingroom chimneypiece and saloon.

Heraldic panel over entrance and kitchen court screen wall also lost; see NMRS photograph 1862.

References

Bibliography

NMRS plans AND/9, s:6 Stratton Street, Jan 1859.

Hitchcock, EARLY VICTORIAN ARCHITECTURE IN BRITAIN pp248-9, vol 1, and illus VIII 33, vol 2.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to BALINTORE CASTLE

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 16/07/2019 09:43