Reginald Fairlie, 1926. Simple planned aisleless, Arts
and Crafts, neo-Norman church. Mannered cream
5-bay nave and 2-bay chancel, low tower adjoined at
entrance end of nave to N. Completed 1935. Single
round-headed light with chamfered margin to N at
2nd stage. Simple doorway at E side and 2 round arched
lights to W. Shallow upper stage with 3 narrow slits to
each face, above ashlar set-off and with ashlar eaves
course; pyramidal roof and finial. Gabled porch
projecting at NW.
N with round arched opening and double panelled doors
to inner doors.
Nave windows round arched, chancel pointed with loop
traceried E window; cross finial to E gable. Lean to
harling chamber at SW.
Swept eaves to slated pyramidal roof.
INTERIOR: vestry at foot of tower, entered from nave.
Wide chancel arch, on sandstone piers. Panelled timber
coomb ceiling with circular vents. Parquet floor to
chancel 1927. Stone pulpit with blind Norman arches.
Decorative, burnished steel lectern 1926, accompanying
wall book-rest and stair balustrade to pulpit. No
embrasures to windows. Some stained glass. Chancel
tripartite by Douglas Strachan circa 1926. Organ 1947.
Statement of Special Interest
Ecclesiastical building in use as such. Architect's fee
$276, tradesmen $4,212 and tower completion $420. Mottled
masonry indicates raising of tower. Blocked door intended to
lead to unrealised lobby. Lorimerian training of architect
Interior bears comparison with the plain simplicity of
Lethaby's Brockhampton Church.