Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.


Status: Designated


There are no additional online documents for this record.


Date Added
Local Authority
Orkney Islands
Planning Authority
Orkney Islands
Hoy And Graemsay
HY 22976 3827
322976, 1003827


Original, pre-1880 S range incorporated in L-plan additions, William Lethaby, 1900, forming 2-storey, crowstepped-gabled, U-plan traditional Orkney laird's house with later additions to N and E. Harled.

S (ORIGINAL) RANGE: S ELEVATION: irregular, 5-bay. 2 windows to lean-to porch at ground in bay to left of centre; window in left return; door in right return. (Enlarged) 3-light window at ground in bay to outer left; window at 1st floor above. Irregularly disposed window at each floor in remaining bays to right. Gabled return to right: window at ground to left; window at 1st floor to right; gablehead stack above. gabled return to left: window at each floor to left; gablehead stack above.

W RANGE: W ELEVATION: irregular 6-bay with garden wall between 2nd and 3rd bays (from left). Window at ground in bay to centre; blank above. Window at each floor in bay to penultimate right; stair window to outer right (advanced 2-bay S range return to extreme right). Window at each floor in remaining bays to left. E (INTERNAL) ELEVATION: single storey, regularly fenestrated, 3-bay. N RANGE: S ELEVATION: regular, 3-bay. Window at each floor in each bay. N ELEVATION: regular 3-bay with 2-bay W range return to outer right. Window in each bay at 1st floor; lean-to with door in left return between centre and right bays. Single storey lean-to to E gable.

Predominantly 12-pane timber sash and case windows; small rooflights to various pitches. Traditional graded stone tiled roof; stone ridge; harled corniced ridge and gablehead stacks; uPVC rainwater goods.

INTERIOR: not seen, 1998.

BOUNDARY WALLS: fine, extensive random rubble, battered garden walls bounding L-plan site with rounded corners and coping. Drum piers to S vehicular gateway with stepped caps; square piers to E vehicular gateway with pyramidal caps.

KENNELS: sited to NE corner of garden. Gabled, stone, 2-bay building with square-headed entrance in each bay to E; small opening to gablehead; wall to runs running S; dwarf walls to railings at S. Traditional graded stone tiled roof.

Statement of Special Interest

The original south range was part of two ranges evident pre 1881 at a site marked 'The Park'. When extended in 1900, it was first named Orgil Lodge, lying as it does to the west of Orgil. It was built and extended as part of the Melsetter Estate at which Lethaby worked extensively, providing some outstanding Arts and Crafts work (see separate listing of Melsetter House, Walls and Flotta Parish). It is noted as being 'one of two mansions on the island' (Groome), the other being Melsetter, and as having belonged, at the time of writing, to John George Moodie Heddle. The original stone tiled roof has been retained and interest is added by the unusual inclusion of a pair of kennels.



1st edition Ordnance Survey map, (1881), evident; Groome, ORDNANCE GAZETTEER OF SCOTLAND, VOL III, p 276; 3RD STATISTICAL ACCOUNT (1985), p 68; G Rubens, WILLIAM RICHARD LETHABY; HIS LIFE AND WORK (1986), p 131, p 139, p 30; J Gifford, HIGHLAND AND ISLANDS, (Buildings of Scotland Series), (1992), p 309; other information courtesy of Mr A I MacIssac.

About Listed Buildings

Listing is the way that a building or structure of special architectural or historic interest is recognised by law through the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest using the criteria published in the Historic Environment Scotland Policy Statement.

The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing and if a number or name is missing from a listing address it may still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing can also cover structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The planning authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. Since 1 October 2015 we have been able to exclude items from a listing. If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.

If you want to alter, extend or demolish a listed building you need to contact your planning authority to see if you need listed building consent. The planning authority advises on the need for listed building consent and they also decide what a listing covers. The planning authority is the main point of contact for all applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at You can contact us on 0131 668 8716 or at


There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to HOY, HOY LODGE INCLUDING, KENNELS, BOUNDARY WALLS AND GATEPIERS

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 26/04/2019 09:25