Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

BARNBARROCH HOUSELB13618

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
20/07/1972
Local Authority
Dumfries And Galloway
Planning Authority
Dumfries And Galloway
Parish
Kirkinner
NGR
NX 39800 51587
Coordinates
239800, 551587

Description

Original house built 1780, later additions and remodelling John Claudius Loudon, 1806. House now a roofless shell following a fire in 1942. Rubble-built with finely fressed granite quoins and margins.

Original part: 2-storey, basement and attic, classical house. Symmetrical elevations: 3-3-3 bays to entrance elevation; 2-2-2 to garden front. Entrance front with 3-window bows to outer bays, all single light windows. Steps to central doorway. The Loudon remodelling included changing floor levels and the reworking of the main door. This was given a projecting pedimented porch supported on pillars, architraved doorpiece with blind heraldic panel above. All single light windows.

Remains of pedimented attic windows to centre at N and SW wing added in 1805: 2-storey and attic single bay addition. Rubble with finely dressed granite quoins, margins and band courses. To S elevation, full-height polished cream sandstone projecting bay with 3-light window. Balustraded parapet with ball finials to eaves. Eaves cornice, tall corniced end and axial stacks, some octagonal cans.

Statement of Special Interest

Mistakenly called Barnbarrow - Loudon's error. Loudon, though primarly an architectural writer and landscape gardener, did undertake a few architectural commissions early in his career, Barnbarroch is

important as one of the few surviving examples of his work. Loudon also laid out the grounds surrounding Barnbarroch for the Vaus-Agnew family.

References

Bibliography

NMRS. Groome. Colvin, p532. J C Loudon A TREATISE ON FARMING IMPROVING AND MANAGING COUNTRY RESIDENCES 1812, pls XIII-XIV.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to BARNBARROCH HOUSE

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 18/01/2020 15:11