Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

TERALLY, TILE WORKS COTTAGESLB13592

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
20/07/1972
Local Authority
Dumfries And Galloway
Planning Authority
Dumfries And Galloway
Parish
Kirkmaiden
NGR
NX 11952 40660
Coordinates
211952, 540660

Description

Circa 1840. Row of 3 single storey, 3-bay cottages. Symmetrical 9-bay design; 3 central bays closely spaced. Painted rubble. Piended roof. Overhanging eaves, with exposed rafters. 2-leaf boarded doors.

N (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: 3 bays at centre slightly advanced under projecting gable; door at centre with flanking windows; wheel oculus in gablehead. 3 bays to left and right; each with central door and flanking windows.

E AND W ELEVATIONS: blank.

S ELEVATION: lean-to addition to right. Flat-roofed painted rubble and brick addition to left.

4-pane glazing in sash and case windows; some windows partly boarded up (1992). 2 painted rubble ridge stacks flanking central 3 bays. Brick wallhead stacks rising through roof; painted to W, only stump remaining to E. Purple slates.

Statement of Special Interest

Tile Works Cottages were formerly listed as "Terally Brick and Tile Works"; Terally Brick and Tile Works are now listed separately. Tile Works Cottages are marked on the OS Map of 1848. Tile Works Cottages were built as workers' housing for Terally Brick and Tile Works, the remains of which are situated to the north-east of the cottages. Terally Brick and Tile Works were opened in circa 1840 and were closed in 1953.

References

Bibliography

OS Map 1850, Wigtownshire, Sheet 31 (surveyed 1848). OS Map 1909, Wigtownshire, Sheet XXXIII NW & NE (surveyed 1906). J Butt THE INDUSTRIAL ARCHAEOLOGY OF SCOTLAND (1967) p 317. I Donnachie THE INDUSTRIAL ARCHAEOLOGY OF GALLOWAY (1971) p 233. NMRS: Scottish Industrial Archaeology Survey MS/500/58/7 (1978).

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to TERALLY, TILE WORKS COTTAGES

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 21/09/2019 10:12