Robert Stevenson, 1828; circular lighthouse and symmetrical block of single storey lighthouse keepers' houses. D A Stevenson, 1894; engine house and adjoining house.
LIGHTHOUSE: tall tower. Painted rubble; painted ashlar dressings. Narrow windows. Door to E. 3 windows to W, 3 to SE and 2 to NE. Corbelled gallery, with latticed metal railing. Cast-iron parapet. Surmounted by domed lantern, with 3 rows of triangular framed glazing. Semicircular wing (formerly fuel stores) encircling base to W; window to NW, W and SW to bowed elevation to W; door to left and right of tower to E; flat-roofed, with 2 wallhead stacks to W. Modern glazing.
Interior not seen 1993.
LIGHTHOUSE KEEPERS' HOUSES: situated to E, within enclosure. Single storey range, with slightly lower wings adjoined to N and S; contains 2 houses. Painted rubble; painted droved ashlar dressings. Raised margins. Band course above windows to main block. Base course. Flat-roofed, with blocking course. 3 rendered coped axial stacks. Double-leaf boarded doors. Modern glazing. Tall cans.
W ELEVATION: 8-bay (originally 6-bay) main block. 3rd and 6th bays advanced, and pedimented above blocking course, each with door. Window to remaining bays, smaller and later in outer bays. Wing recessed to left and right, each with bipartite window (originally with door). Wall adjoined in outer bays of main block, and linked to semicircular wing of tower.
E ELEVATION: 6-bay main block. Penultimate bays to left and right advanced, and pedimented above blocking course. Regular fenestration. Wing recessed to left and right, each with later window.
N ELEVATION: harled lower wing adjoined, with door to left of centre and window to left to N.
S ELEVATION: harled lower wing adjoined, with door to S.
ENGINE HOUSE: former engine house and adjoining house; situated to S, within enclosure. Flat-roofed, with blocking course; axial stack. Small-paned glazing to engine house. 5-bay (2-3) engine house to left to N, 3-bay house to right; door and flanking windows to house; door in bay to right of centre to engine house, windows in remaining bays. 8-
bay to S; door in bay to left of centre; windows in remaining bays.
ENCLOSURE WALLS: painted rubble walls, forming enclosure for lighthouse complex; pair of block-capped square gatepiers to W and to N. Square-plan cultivation enclosure adjoined to E; stone gateway, with angled overthrow and door, to W.
Foghorn (D A Stevenson, 1894) situated down slope to S.
Gabled outbuilding (former byre ?), situated to NE. Painted rubble; slate roof. 2 doors at centre to E; 3 later machinery doors.
4 windows to W. Ridge stack.
Rubble wall across headland to W, with 3 painted block-capped