Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.


Status: Designated


There are no additional online documents for this record.


Date Added
Local Authority
Dumfries And Galloway
Planning Authority
Dumfries And Galloway
NX 1285 3695
212850, 536950


Post 1872. Former school and adjoining schoolhouse. 2-storey, with 1st floor breaking eaves, house; single storey school adjoined to W, forming elongated H-plan. Rubble; lightly painted to school, exposed to house. Red sandstone ashlar dressings; stugged rybats and quoins, with finely droved margin drafts. Chamfered margins, stopped before cill. Later brick additions.

S ELEVATION: SCHOOL TO LEFT: gable advanced to left; bipartite window, and blind gun loop in gablehead, to S. Lean-to brick porch to E return, with door to S. 4 bipartite windows to central section, spaced 1-1-2; gabled brick porch between centre windows, with door to W and window to S.

HOUSE TO RIGHT: gable advanced to left; window to both floors to S;

bipartite window at ground floor, and window, with gabled dormerhead, at 1st floor, to E return; wallhead stack to left to W return. Modern door to right.

E ELEVATION: L-plan (see S elevation for re-entrant elevations to left). Gable advanced to right; window to left to both floors, and to right at 1st floor to E.

N ELEVATION: HOUSE TO LEFT: window to left at ground floor. Gable to right, with window to both floors to left. Half-piended single storey wing adjoined to gable at ground floor to right; door to left and window to right to E; glazed door to right and slapped window to left to N; slapped window to left and blocked door to far right to W. SCHOOL TO CENTRE AND RIGHT: 3 widely spaced windows to central section; small window to outer right; wallhead stack between centre and right

windows; gable mark of former porch between left and centre windows, with blocked door to left of centre window. Gable advanced to right; bipartite window to N; garage door slapped at centre, door to right and wallhead stack to left to E return.

W ELEVATION: 4-bay. Bipartite windows in centre bays. Single light windows in outer bays. Rubble wall adjoined to left.

Mainly modern glazing, with small-pane pattern; 3 sash and case windows with 12-pane glazing to N elevation of school. Ashlar coped skews. Ashlar dressed coped stacks; gablehead to E and N to house, ridge between house and school, and shouldered wallhead (see elevations). Small grey slates. Gabled ventilators to roofs of school.

Rubble walls. Pair of ashlar, chamfered, pyramidal-capped square gatepiers to school to S wall; plain iron gate.

Statement of Special Interest

No longer in use as a school. Drummore School was the Central public school of Kirkmaiden parish.



F H Groome (ed) ORDNANCE GAZETTEER OF SCOTLAND Vol IV (1895) p 431.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at


There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to LONGBOWS (FORMER DRUMMORE SCHOOL AND SCHOOLHOUSE)

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 18/08/2019 20:57