1788 - 1800. Fish pond; adjoining single storey, 3-bay keeper's cottage to E, with circular tower giving access to steps to fish pond. Bathing hut, situated amongst rocks to E.
FISH POND: curved rubble wall around pond; roughly crenellated, with alternate rubble stones raised as merlons. Long flight of shallow steps down N side of pond to water's edge. Pond formed out of natural rock. Opening to E connecting with the sea through natural rock cleft; small rubble arch over cleft at base of wall; iron grille in water passage.
KEEPER'S COTTAGE: harled. Painted margins. Boarded doors. Piended to E, gabled to W.
N (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: door with 2 small windows flanking. Crenellated circular tower (entrance to fish pond) advanced to right, with door to N. Wall (see below) adjoined between door and window to left.
W (FISH POND) ELEVATION: whole of wallhead crenellated. Circular tower to left; large pointed-arched doorway, with boarded door and boarded apex. Slightly recessed bay at centre, with pointed-arched window. Bay to right, with 2 incised Greek crosses in line; left merlon raised as wallhead stack. Fish pond wall adjoined to tower to left.
E ELEVATION: window to left. Shaped-gabled wallhead stack at centre; spiral patterned crenellated can.
S ELEVATION: window to left. Flat-roofed addition to right of centre, with 2 windows to right, to E and to W. Fish pond wall adjoined to left.
Top-hopper glazing to addition; windows mainly with external boarded shutters (1992). Rendered stacks (see E and W elevations). Small grey slates. Red sandstone capping to merlons.
BATHING HUT: built up against natural rock. Painted rubble. Painted margins to doors. Pinky-grey slates. Crenellated gables to E and W. Door to right to E; gable built up against natural rock to left. Door slightly to right of centre to W. Small 4-pane window at centre to N. Protrusion of chimney flue to S. Small fireplace to interior.
Narrow slab bridge across gap in rocks to W. Concreted steps down from door to E.
GATEPIERS AND WALL: pair of granite corniced pyramidal-capped square gatepiers, bull-faced piers with margin drafts; timber gate. Rubble coped harled wall to N. Pair of painted ball-finialled conical-capped circular gatepiers to gateway to bathing hut, with timber gate.
Statement of Special Interest
The fish pond was built by Colonel Andrew McDouall of Logan; it was begun in 1788 and completed in 1800. The basin of the pond was excavated or blasted out of the natural rock. The fish pond is tidal and supplied with water from the sea at high tide through the cleft to the east. In 1839, instead of the iron grille, the cleft was "shut up with an uncemented stone-wall, which effectually secures the prisoners, and allows a free entrance and exit to the tide", according to the NEW
STATISTICAL ACCOUNT. Originally intended to provide a supply of fresh fish for Logan House, the fish pond ultimately became a local attraction. The fish contained within the pond apparently became very tame and would respond to the sound of the keeper's voice. See separate listings for Logan: Bridge; Folly Tower; Hen Knowe Cottages; Logan House; Logan Botanic Garden; Logan Court (former Coach House and Stables).