Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

LOGAN, LOGAN COURT (FORMER COACH HOUSE AND STABLES)LB13566

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
16/03/1994
Local Authority
Dumfries And Galloway
Planning Authority
Dumfries And Galloway
Parish
Kirkmaiden
NGR
NX 9611 43048
Coordinates
209611, 543048

Description

Possibly David Bryce, circa 1874. Simple Baronial style, L-plan former stable block. Coach house in range to W; 2-storey former coachman's house to E, extended to E circa 1915; single storey and loft stables, now converted to domestic use. Harled. Red sandstone ashlar dressings: margins; quoin strips. Chamfered margins, stopped before cill.

S ELEVATION: L-plan. 8 asymmetrically disposed bays to S; house to right. Gabled bay advanced and shouldered in bay to left of centre; basket-arched pend entrance (modern entrance for domestic use recessed within pend), with rusticated quoins; 2 windows above to attic; blocked oculus in gablehead; conical roofed pepperpot turrets terminating crowstepped skews. Door in bays to outer right and to outer left. Windows in remaining bays, smaller in penultimate bay to left. Gabled loft doors breaking eaves above 3rd bay from right and above penultimate bay to left. Courtyard wall (see below) adjoined to right.

Crowstepped lop-sided gable of house to right; window to left and outer right at ground floor; 2 windows to left and window to right at 1st floor.

Former coach house in W range to left; 4 flat-arched carriage arches to E, each with 2-leaf boarded doors; corrugated metal roof projected on cast-iron columns to courtyard.

E ELEVATION: door to right of centre; window to right and 2 windows to left at ground floor. 3 windows at 1st floor, each with gabled dormerhead raised above eaves.

N ELEVATION: crowstepped lop-sided gable advanced to left; window to left to both floors, and window to right at ground floor to N. Lean-to adjoined to W return, with window to N and W; dormerheaded window to left and window to right at 1st floor to W return. Gable advanced at centre; bipartite window at ground floor, and 2 windows at 1st floor to N; small window to left to E return, and to right to W return. Lean-to adjoined to elevation between left and centre bays, with door and flanking windows. Long lean-to adjoined to elevation to right, with door and flanking windows to left, and machinery door to right.

W ELEVATION: gable to left; machinery door to left, window to right, and loft door in gablehead. 4 windows to right.

8-, 12- and 16-pane glazing in sash and case windows. Ashlar crowsteps, with skewputts, and coped skews, with skewends. Ashlar dressed coped stacks; gablehead to N; ridge to E range, to E to N range, and to N to W range. Wallhead stack to left to N. Small grey slates. 3 pyramidal-roofed metal ventilators to ridge of N range. Cast-iron rainwater goods. Decorative cast-iron finials to turrets and ventilators.

Saddleback-coped harled walls to S and E enclosing courtyard.

Pair of ashlar corniced square gatepiers to E; low walls adjoined.

Small cobbles to courtyard.

OUTHOUSE in SE angle of courtyard. Turret to E; door to courtyard to N, and slit window to E; finialled conical roof with swept eaves and ashlar eaves course. Small block clasping turret to W, adjoined to wall to S; door to N; wallhead stack to S.

Statement of Special Interest

The buildings marked on this site on the OS Map of 1847-48 do not follow the form plan of the existing buildings. Extensive Baronial additions were made to Logan House (see separate listing) in 1874 by David Bryce, and it is possible that Bryce also designed the coach house and stable block at that time.

See separate listings for Logan: Bridge; Folly Tower; Hen Knowe Cottages; Logan House; Logan Botanic Garden; Logan Fish Pond, Cottage and Bathing Hut.

References

Bibliography

OS Map 1850, Wigtownshire, Sheet 27 (surveyed 1847-48). OS Map 1894, Wigtownshire, Sheet XXIX 13 (surveyed 1894). Information courtesy of owner.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to LOGAN, LOGAN COURT (FORMER COACH HOUSE AND STABLES)

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 25/06/2019 16:44