Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

LOGAN, HEN KNOWE COTTAGESLB13563

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
C
Date Added
16/03/1994
Local Authority
Dumfries And Galloway
Planning Authority
Dumfries And Galloway
Parish
Kirkmaiden
NGR
NX 9451 43030
Coordinates
209451, 543030

Description

Earlier 19th century; later alterations. Tower, flanked by pair of

2-storey, with 1st floor breaking eaves, 3-bay houses.

TOWER: square-plan. Rubble, painted to S elevation. 2-stage, with upper stage added in brick; banded brickwork with 4 courses of stretchers alternated with 1 course of headers.

S ELEVATION: rubble forestair to door at 1st floor to left; doorway set into forestair at ground floor. Small window opening to right to both floors. Houses adjoined and advanced to left and right.

N ELEVATION: recessed round-arched panel through 2 stages at centre; blind tripartite motif at ground floor; blind Serliana motif at 1st floor.

E AND W ELEVATIONS: houses adjoined to 2nd stage.

Square ventilation holes at eaves to all faces. Grey slates to pyramidal roof, with overhanging eaves. Brick ventilator stacks

rising through roof to E and W.

HOUSES: painted rubble. Painted projecting cills. Painted brick margins.

S (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: No 1 to right. Each house has door at centre, and windows to both floors in outer bays. Gabled dormerheads to windows at 1st floor; broad to No 1, with overhanging eaves to No 2. Wall (see below) adjoined to right of No 1.

E (No 1) ELEVATION: painted rubble lean-to outhouse adjoined at centre.

W (No 2) ELEVATION: painted brick lean-to addition adjoined to elevation.

N ELEVATION: No 1 to left; later lean-to addition adjoined. No 2 to right; 2 windows.

Sash and case windows; 12-pane glazing to No 1, 8-pane horizontal glazing to No 2. Coped skews to No 1, no skews to No 2. Painted brick gablehead stacks to E and W. Purple slates to No 1, grey slates to

No 2.

Pair of painted rubble conical-capped circular piers; one adjoined to right of No 1 to S by short section of painted rubble wall.

Statement of Special Interest

These buildings appear to be marked on the OS Map of 1847-48. The upper stage of the tower was presumably added for storage purposes.

See separate listings for Logan: Bridge; Folly Tower; Logan House; Logan Botanic Garden; Logan Court (former Coach House and Stables); Logan Fish Pond, Cottage and Bathing Hut. Planning permission for alterations and extensions granted prior to listing. The cottages are listed for merits described here, hopefully to be maintained.

References

Bibliography

OS Map 1850, Wigtownshire, Sheet 27 (surveyed 1847-48).

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to LOGAN, HEN KNOWE COTTAGES

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 20/08/2019 00:35