Archway, earlier-mid 19th century. Near symmetrical, garden folly, designed as ruin, with central stilted arch (voussoirs only, no superstructure), wing walls to either side. Random rubble masonry, with sculptured stones of various dates and sources, later wrought-iron gate with thistle details.
N ELEVATION: (facing modern bungalow) sculptured stones set to left of archway: square armorial panel, from Woodhouselee, dated 1657, with the (worn) motto of Sir William Purves of Abbeyhill, "VNTO YE RICHTIOVS THERE/ ARISETH LIGHT IN DARKNESS" (NMRS photograph shows panel less worn); triangular pediment at wallhead, with heraldic device, inscribed "BEATVS VIR QVI SPERAT IN DNO, 1450" ('blessed are they that trust in the lord' see notes). To right; 2 steeply-pitched triangular pediments above windows, that to left with armorial and "AP ES" inscription (for Park of Fulfordlies and his wife); that to the right with initials "RN and MN (for Robert and Margaret Napier of Wrichtshouses), inscription "PATRIAE ET POSTERIS, 1513" (see notes). Close to arch jamb, a narrow arched niche with 2 sculptured stones inset (much worn, provenance unknown): figurative above, possibly Virgin and Child (date uncertain); below a Greek inscription, much worn ("to God alone the glory").
S ELEVATION: to left of archway: single steep-pitched triangular pediment with bold relief armorial and inscribed with initials "AMA"; 2 semi-circular pediments to left, set back-to-front; lower left at base skewputt sundial. To right: plain rubble wall.
Statement of Special Interest
One of 3 surviving listed structures in the designed landscape of Woodhouselee policies (former stable and Fraser Tytler memorial listed separately). Wrichtshouse, demolished in 1800 was a Scottish Renaissance U-plan villa on what is now Bruntsfield Links, Edinburgh. The sculptured stones from here used in the gateway were probably 17th century copies. Other fragments from Wrichtshouses can be found at the archway at St Margaret's Hope House, North Queensferry (listed in Dunfermline parish), and at Huntly House. This archaeological/ historic interest was probably instigated by Sir Walter Scott, who amassed a collection of salvaged building fragments and built many of them into his house at Abbotsford in 1824 (see Melrose Parish, Scottish Borders). Scott was a frequent visitor to Patrick Fraser Tytler at Woodhouslee. Two more fragments are on site (near modern bungalow): square armorial panel with high relief carving set into the stack of the new house in front entrance (similar to that in left of arch), shown in a NMRS photograph in situ below a dormer-headed window on new Woodhouselee House; and a triangular pediment with fine bas-relief Roman bust in profile, with the inscription below "OCTAVIVS SECONDVS ROMAN EMPERATO" (free standing), provenance uncertain. (See Former Woodhouselee Stables for further history of the site.)