Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

WOODHOUSELEE POLICIES, FORMER STABLESLB13512

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
18/03/1993
Local Authority
Midlothian
Planning Authority
Midlothian
Parish
Glencorse
NGR
NT 23898 64533
Coordinates
323898, 664533

Description

Earlier to mid 19th century, Symmetrical U-plan courtyard stables (now converted to domestic use). Single storey, snecked rubble with polished ashlar and droved ashlar dressings on subsidiary elevations; slated pitched and piended roofs, masonry skews. Altered with modern slappings, glazing and rooflights.

W (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: symmetrical pedimented gables of N and S ranges flanking open-sided entrance elevation. Entrance marked by snecked rubble screen walls linked at centres to simple square-plan ashlar piers with ball finials (originally flat pyramid caps), no gates. Each gable pedimented, that to left (N) an open pediment, that to right closed. Polished ashlar long and short quoins. 3-light windows in each gable, each light ogee-arched lancet with original timber sash and case glazing (2 panes over 2), except centre light to left (blocked), and lower sash of right-hand centre light (glazing lost); square hood moulds over; single, unglazed oculus in each pediment; coped block finials over skewputts and at apices.

W COURTYARD ELEVATION: 3 symmetrical arched openings, 2 wide segmental-arched cart arches flanking central pedestrian entrance (all glazed in), 3 regularly-placed modern Velux roof-lights into roof above. Velux roof-lights to N with ventilation duct above, S roof clear of skylights.

N ELEVATION: asymmetrical openings; modern concrete harled lean-to addition to left (E); 2 later piend-roofed dormer-headed windows breaking through eaves, further altered with modern glazing at left hand dormer, right hand dormer bricked up. Modern Velux roof-light in slope of roof to far left.

E ELEVATION: 5-bay, originally 4-bay: central doorway opening (original) with modern boarded timber stable door; 2 windows flanking to either side symmetrically, outer windows vertically proportioned (original), inner pair horizontal (modern alterations), outer pair with plate glass sash and case glazing with modern security lighting above, inner pair with modern glazing, 3 symmetrical oculi close up at eaves over central entrance bay and over outer bays; range of 8 regularly-placed modern Velux rooflights and single pipe flue in slope of roof above.

S ELEVATION: Timber stable (modern) with overhanging roof obscuring most of elevation, single window off-centre to right.

INTERIOR: modern conversion.

Some 4-pane timber sash and case windows and modern glazing. Piended slate roof with roof lights and dormers. Ridge stack at centre of N range and later stack at E end of S range.

Statement of Special Interest

One of 3 surviving listed structures in the designed landscape of Woodhouselee policies (Fraser Tytler Memorial and Archway listed separately).

George Meikle Kemp (d. 1844), architect of the Scott Monument in Edinburgh, was employed on the estate, adding a wing to New Woodhouselee House (demolished in 1965) for James Tytler 3rd in 1843. He may also have built these stables at around the same time

References

Bibliography

OS 1st edition map (1856). T Small CASTLES AND MANSIONS OF THE LOTHIANS, Vol. II, 1883 (illustrates New Woodhouselee House, also known as 'Fulford Castle', now demolished); C McWilliam MIDLOTHIAN, p474. NMRS photograph showing stables pre-conversion, Jane Thomas MIDLOTHIAN (1995) p46.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to WOODHOUSELEE POLICIES, FORMER STABLES

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 20/05/2019 19:45