Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

BRIDGE OF WEIR FREELAND CHURCHLB13481

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
C
Date Added
26/05/1986
Local Authority
Renfrewshire
Planning Authority
Renfrewshire
Parish
Kilbarchan
NGR
NS 38771 65615
Coordinates
238771, 665615

Description

1826 simple rectangular-plan church begun; 1857 front hall

added (gift of G S Freeland). 1912 interior extensively

recast, porch, gallery stair and choir added, windows

lengthened and given round-arched heads later halls added to

rear of choir. Rubble-built with tooled ashlar dressings and

angle margins; slate roofs. Original church with steep

pyramidal roof and ventilator. Lower hall added to SW with

shallow projection facing the road crowned with birdcage

bellcote, round-arched window at ground repeated by side

elevations. Porch with round-arched door SE re-entrant angle

with apsidal gallery stair projection.

Plain interior with gallery on SE wall. 2 memorial windows

1931 and 1938.

Statement of Special Interest

The congregation has its roots in the Secession Church. In

1747 it adhered to the Burgher Party and when seceders

further split they took up the cause of the "Auld Lient

Burghers" in 1799. In 1839 joined with the Established church,

but in 1843 came out with the Free Church. Because the building

was under a mortgage of $400 it was put up for sale, purchased

by Robt. Freelan of Gryffe Castle and given to the

congregation. In 1900 the Free Church joined with the UP

church to form the UF church and re-united with the Church

of Scotland in 1929.

References

Bibliography

Information from Church records.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to BRIDGE OF WEIR FREELAND CHURCH

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 07/12/2019 22:16