Probably George Paterson of Hamilton Estates Office, Hamilton, dated 1883; additions to rear in style of Sir J J Burnet, circa 1900; stablecourt dated 1887. 2-storey, asymmetrical L-plan, large Picturesque villa. Stugged and snecked pink rubble sandstone, ashlar dressings, grey slate gabled roof. Base course; deep bracketted eaves with moulded bargeboards and finialled gables, decorative hammer braces and king post trusses; mostly single and bipartite 4-pane sash and case windows, tripartite canted and projecting windows to rear additions; corniced ridge stacks.
FRONT ELEVATION: 4-bay. Gabled entrance porch at 2nd bay from left in re-entrant angle, window, panelled door to right return with fanlight and shouldered doorcase, bipartite to right with initial panel at lintel, dormerheaded window above and dormer to left; gable advanced to left, canted window with string course and date panel, 1st floor chamfered to square at gablehead; gable advanced to far right, corniced projecting window at ground floor, bipartite at outer right with window, bipartite with corniced hoodmould at right return.
REAR GABLE: gable to left with gabled porch and various windows, gabled wing advanced to right in 2 stepped sections with porch, door and various windows; later (circa 1900) bay at transverse angle with various doors and windows, catslide dormer, ashlar-coped skews with wallhead kneelers.
SIDE ELEVATION: principal gable to right, bipartite window to ground floor, bipartite stair window, single window to 1st floor; two 2-bay wings recessed to left with various windows, gable of transverse bay at far left.
INTERIOR: not seen.
STABLECOURT: single storey, L-plan stablecourt to rear of house; stugged and snecked pink rubble sandstone, piended grey slate roof. Curvilinear-gabled porch to principal elevation, various doors and windows, piended dormer.
OUTBUILDING: single-storey, rectangular-plan, detached outbuilding forming third side of stable court; stugged and snecked pink rubble sandstone, slate roof, gambrel at one end. Fixed multi-pane windows, coped ridge stack, various roof vents.
Statement of Special Interest
Strabane was the home of the Duke of Hamilton's Chamberlain,
Patrick Murray. The memorial plaque in Lochranza Parish Church reads 'Patrick Murray, Strabane, Brodick, Chamberlain of Arran 1881-1900'. These dates suggest that the house was built specifically for Murray, although a house of similar plan appears on the first Ordnance Survey Map. This earlier house may have been partly or wholly incorporated into the 1883 scheme. A sketch plan of the house showing the north gable as an addition, together with drawings for stacks and mouldings is signed and dated George Paterson 1883. Since the south gable is dated 1883, this suggests the 'addition' was an amendment to the original 1883 scheme of rebuilding/remodelling whilst still in progress. Internal inspection might determine its development more clearly.