Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.


Status: Designated


There are no additional online documents for this record.


Date Added
Local Authority
Scottish Borders
Planning Authority
Scottish Borders
NT 61804 21512
361804, 621512


16th century tower with many later, notably mid 19th century, alterations and additions. 4-storey and attic tower with 2-storey and attic additions forming L-plan; further lower 2-storey service wing. Sandstone rubble.

TOWER: to SE. Enlarged windows, modern gabled stone wallhead dormers with thistle finials.

SE ELEVATION: gabled with window to each floor; apex stack.

NE ELEVATION: pair of gun-loops at ground, window to left at 1st floor, 2 windows to 2nd floor, dormer to left.

SW ELEVATION: as above but 2 windows to 1st floor.

12-pane timber and sash and case windows; crowstepped gables with beak skewputts (reconstituted stone); dormers with flat ashlar skews.

19TH CENTURY WING: SW ELEVATION: 3-bay, tower adjoins to right. 2 bays to right with projecting gabled porch at ground; bipartite windows to front and left return, panelled door to right return; bipartite window to right, 2 single windows above; broad gabled bay to left with 2-storey corniced canted window and single window in gablehead.

4-pane timber sash and case windows; saw-tooth coping to gables and corbel skewputts.

NW ELEVATION: 3-bay. Projecting bay to right with window at ground and timber oriel window above; centre bay with glazed door at ground and window above, small round window to right at 1st floor; left bay with window to both floors. Low extended harled rear of service range to left with 2 windows, dormer and rooflights.

SE ELEVATION: tower advanced to left. 2 bays of house with 3 steps to modern door to left; deep-set in heavily chamfered red ashlar round-headed doorcase with narrow light to left; window above; right bay with window to both floors and canted piend-roofed dormer. NE return gable with apex stack, small window at ground to left and in gablehead. Set-back 4-bay service range to right with 2 doors, 3 irregular windows and garage door deep-set under depressed arch to right; window to each bay above. Pair of garages beyond with steeply-pitched piended roof; window to end wall. House with 12-pane timber sash and case windows, 4-pane to service wing. Ashlar coped skews; grey slates; coped rubble stacks, brick to service wing.

STABLES: L-plan; squared and snecked pink sandstone with ashlar dressings. W range with door and flanking windows to court; piended roof. E range with pair of 2-lef stable doors and window to right at ground; boarded door in gabled dormer breaking eaves to hay-loft above; blank gable to E return with coped skews.

Timber casement windows; grey slates.

BOUNDARY AND GARDENS WALLS: low rubble boundary wall to road; tall rubble walls with boulder coping partly enclosing garden to SW and curved down at intervals.

Statement of Special Interest

Little now remains of the 16th century tower save the vaulted basement and gun loops, successive waves of improvements transforming the structure in the 17th, 19th and 20th centuries. The service wing was apparently added in 1855, and the tower altered 10 years later; these latter alterations were removed in 1990/91 and the tower reconstructed under the direction of Philip Mercer ARIBA. The single storey billiard wing to the NW was also demolished at this time. It is possible that the service wing adjoined the stable court in the 19th century (see 1st and 2nd edition OS maps). The tower is the only surviving one of the 3 which were once in Lanton; it was acquired by Lord Cranston in 1627, and later sold to the Douglas's of Cavers. It later passed into the hands of the Inglis family, and was acquired in the late 19th century by the Robson-Scotts. They kept the Jedforest Hunt hounds at Lanton from 1903 until 1932.



RCAHMS INVENTORY Vol I No 433 fig 279. Sale Catalogues nd and 1991 NMRS. Ordnance Survey Name Book.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at


There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to LANTON TOWER WITH SERVICE WING, STABLES, BOUNDARY AND_GARDEN WALLS

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 25/06/2019 02:27