Listed Building

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site only. All other information in the record is not statutory.

LANGLEELB13383

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
02/12/1993
Local Authority
Scottish Borders
Planning Authority
Scottish Borders
Parish
Jedburgh
NGR
NT 64665 17552
Coordinates
364665, 617552

Description

Later 18th century; substantial alterations and additions by David Bryce, dated 1868; subdivided 1981. 2-storey and basement Baronial house with extended service ranges forming U-plan and squat, square 3-stage tower at E corner with machicolated balustraded parapet and waterspouts. Stugged cream ashlar sandstone with pollished dressings; moulded string course above 1st floor; stop-chamfered arrises; moulded eaves; crow-stepped gables.

NE (ENTRANCE) FRONT: tower to left with step to boarded door with wrought-iron hinges in roll-moulded round-headed surround; rope-moulded hoodmould with knotted label-stops; tripartite window above lighting vestibule with framed datestone (1868) above centre light; string course stepping around; 1st floor window framed by colonettes with annulets, cornice, finials and semi-circular crested pediment; window above. 3 2-storey and basement bays slightly set back to right; at ground 3 bays spanned by massive canted window with 3 lights to front; solid coped parapet and angle dies with ball finials; basement windows to bay (bipartite to front) and flanking walls; 1st floor windows to each bay with pedimented dormerheads and finials. To right, single storey bay with bipartite window and pedimented dormerhead as above. Service wing extends beyind in 2 ranges (see below), each stepping forward 1 bay.

SE (GARDEN) ELEVATION: tower slightly set back to right with windows to all floors; small round stair tower corbelled out at 1st floor across re-entrant angle and providing access to viewing platform; bell-cast caphouse roof with ball finial and weathervane; narrow windows.

2-storey 4-bay range to left; at ground, 2 bays to right spanned by tripartite window, bay to left blank; single windows to each bay at 1st floor with tiny pediment above eaves and finials between; iron fence with wrought-iron cresting behind eaves (enclosing roof garden). Outer bay to left advanced with broad 5-light canted window at ground with armorial panel below string course above; 1st floor corbelled to square with blind panel in gablehead.

SW ELEVATION: irregular 2-storey 4-bay range; gabled bay to right with tripartite window at ground and single window to 1st floor with blind panel above. Advanced bay to left with tripartite window at ground and window above; moulded brackets at angles supporting pitched roof (originally gabled). Final 2 bays considerably altered; at ground, modern conservatory obscures original doorway, bipartite window to left; at 1st floor modern door to cast-iron balcony with 2 windows to left. Secondary single storey 4-bay service range stepping back to left; door to 1st bay; 2nd and 3rd bays set back and gabled; 4th bay set back with flat-panelled door and gable on return.

REAR (COURTYARD) ELEVATION: irregular elevation with crenellated parapet; clearly much altered. Not seen 1993. 12-pane timber sash and case windows, plate glass to garden front and tripartite windows. Moulded skewputts, apex stacks with ashlar coping; grey slates. Cast-iron downpipes with dated rainwaterheads.

INTERIOR: vestibule with straight flight of stairs leads to staircase hall perpendicular to entrance with panelled timber scale and platt stair with barleytwist balusters and finials at far end. Dinning room to right of staircase hall, Drawing room to left; dentilled cornices; plain marble fire surrounds. Many alterations to finishes during restoration and subdivision.

SERVICE WING: single storey 4-bay domestic range; windows to 1st 3 bays from left, final bay with segmental-headed carriage pend and 2-leaf boarded doors; outer bays gabled. 2-storey 8/9 bay irregular gable-ended stable range; 1st bay from left with 1st floor window breaking eaves with gabled dormerhead; openings at ground include folding boarded garage door and blocked segmental-headed carriage arch.

Statement of Special Interest

There is a walled garden and much altered cottage to the immediate NW of the house. The estate was acquired by Charles Scott in the 1860s, who then commissioned Bryce to enlarge the house for his forthcoming marriage. Scott had been the tenant at Lintalee for some years. There are designs for rebuilding the old lodge in a rustic style by James Walker of Edinburgh dated 1857, but no trace of this building remains. Not to be confused with Sir George Washington Browne's Langlees, nr Biggar.

References

Bibliography

Valerie Fiddes and Alistair Rowan DAVID BRYCE 1803-1876 Exhibition Catalogue 1976 p125. NMRS Drawings RXD 323/1.

About Listed Buildings

Listing is the way that a building or structure of special architectural or historic interest is recognised by law through the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest using the criteria published in the Historic Environment Scotland Policy Statement.

The statutory listing address is the legal part of the listing. The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The planning authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historicenvironment.scot. Since 1 October 2015 we have been able to exclude items from a listing. If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.

If you want to alter, extend or demolish a listed building you need to contact your planning authority to see if you need listed building consent. The planning authority is the main point of contact for all applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot. You can contact us on 0131 668 8716 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to LANGLEE

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 20/11/2018 13:18