Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

JEDWATER HOUSE, WITH STABLES, OUTBUILDING, AND RETAINING WALLLB13381

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
11/07/1990
Local Authority
Scottish Borders
Planning Authority
Scottish Borders
Parish
Jedburgh
NGR
NT 65146 19451
Coordinates
365146, 619451

Description

Probably William Burn, mid 19th century with later 19th century additions and alterations. 2-storey, asymmetrical Baronial house on irregular-plan. Sandstone rubble with ashlar dressings. Chamfered reveals. Corbel course encircling jettied 1st floor bays to N and W. 2 ashlar coped, gabled dormerheads to 1st floor windows breaking eaves.

E ELEVATION: flat-roofed stone porch with small windows set in re-entrant angle of principal block, abutting advanced gabled bay to right with 1st floor window, and masking recessed bay at centre, with stair window; projecting, gabled bay to left with window to each floor. Serivce door to outer left by SE block with 3-stage circular lower set in re-entrant angle, conical roof with swept eaves and decorative weathervane.

N ELEVATION: gabled bay advanced at centre with stone mullioned tripartite window to right return at ground; bay to left.

W ELEVATION: advanced, gabled bay at centre with similar tripartite window at ground.

S ELEVATION: gabled bay at centre with wallhead stack; various additions at ground in re-entrant angle, including lean-to green-house and modern, flat-roofed projections.

12-pane glazing pattern to sash and case windows; horizontal-pane glazing to tripartites. Grey slates to roof, steeply pitched at intervals. Ashlar crowstepped gables. Wallhead and ridge stacks, harled repairs.

INTERIOR: 2-leaf panelled vestibule door; flagstoned vestibule. Decorative timber balustrade. Some classical chimneypieces.

STABLES: later 19th century. Rectangular-plan stables with room and hayloft above. Rubble sandstone with ashlar dressings; chamfered reveals. Main elevation to E with garage doors inserted to right, 2 Stable doors to left; hayloft door and window above, both breaking eaves in gabled dormerheads. Rear elevation to garden with 1 opening. End gables crowstepped. Grey slates.

OUTBUILDING: square-plan, single storey, late 19th century building sited on W; 2 doors to N and 2 windows; coal-shute door to W, with window flanking. Pyramidal slate roof.

RETAINING WALL: rubble retaining wall to S and E with semi-circular coping.

Statement of Special Interest

Prominently sited with the backdrop of the scaurs to W, Jedwater House was formerly called "Scaurs"; the Jedwater encloses the property to the W. The Burn-style Baronial design evolved imperceptibly, with the addition of later outbuildings. George Lee was granted the feu from the Marquess of Lothian in 1860, which passed in 1861 to the Rev William Lee.

References

Bibliography

Woods MAP OF JEDBURGH 1823. 1st edition OS Map 1861.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to JEDWATER HOUSE, WITH STABLES, OUTBUILDING, AND RETAINING WALL

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 15/06/2019 22:24