Listed Building

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site only. All other information in the record is not statutory.


Status: Designated


There are no additional online documents for this record.


Date Added
Local Authority
East Lothian
Planning Authority
East Lothian
NT 49048 83567
349048, 683567


Sir Edwin Lutyens, 1901. 2-storey Arts and Crafts house

formed of 2 interlocking ground plans: L-plan to W with

curved inner angle, linking with U-plan to E, with attic

floor. Sir Robert Lorimer 1911 added T-plan nursery

wing to W elevation. In 1972 a long single storey

extension to E elevation provided further bedroom

accommodation. Roughly squared and snecked Rattlebag

stone with pantile sections forming decoratve lintel detail.

Small-pane glazing pattern to square casement windows.

S (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: curved symmetrical frontispiece

with 5 bays at centre breaking eaves with parapet raised

in panels above 1st floor windows, flanked by raised

stacks; swept eaves to outer bays. Doorway at centre

with consoled, swan-neck Baroque pediment and moulded

lugged architrave with inscribed keystone. Oval detail to

paved entrance extending into vestibule. Window above

and to flanking bays, with narrow window at ground by

stacks. Polygonally roofed summer houses in boundary

walls extending SW and SE with roll-moulded doorway

altered to window to W summer house. Nursery wing

concealed by wall at W. 5-bay symmetrical U-plan to E,

opening onto walled garden. 3 centre bays recessed with

raised and gabled centre bay flanked by loggia at

ground, jettied 1st floor with multi-light windows under

eaves. Decorative sundial to gablehead. Gabled

advanced outer bays with diminishing sized windows from

ground to single attic lights in gableheads.

N (MUIRFIELD LINKS) ELEVATION: regularly windowed gabled

bays, advancing irregularly to right. Arched doorway by

re-entrant angle at centre, in gabled bay with battered

stack rising through left skew. Various other doors.

Grey pantiles to roof and as coping of chimney stacks and

single storey modern additions. Square, small-paned

lantern with leaded dome roof above entrance bay.

INTERIOR: much original interior work retained at ground

floor including keyblocked archways; decorative

cornices, panelled doors. Panelled library. Simple

chimneypieces with marble surrounds.

LODGES: 3 2-storey lodges sited SW of house, with

mirrored pair to N and S and larger lodge to E at centre.

Random Rattlebag stone. Small-pane glazing pattern to

casement windows. Piended pantile roofs. Rubble stacks.

N AND S LODGES: square plan with forestair to inner

elevation. Keystoned roll-moulded surround to doorway

under forestair, architraved doorway at top of stair.

Panelled doors raised ashlar band course at 1st floor, on

level with ashlar coping adjoining rubble boundary walls.

E LODGE: L-plan W elevation symmetrical. 2 1st floor

windows under eaves, central doorway with raised quoin

and keystoned rusticated surround. Ashlar cill course at

1st floor, continuous with parapet of boundary walls to N

and S. Piend-roofed rear wing to E with lower

piend-roofed outbuilding adjoining.

GARDEN WALLS AND GATEWAYS: Rattlebag rubble walls with

grey pantiled gablet coping. Garden landscaping and layout

by Gertrude Jekyll. Sunk croquet lawn to N with

rubble retaining wall and stone steps. Haha before golf

course at N. Round arched gateways in walled gardens

to S with boarded timber doors and droved rays in

surround. Garden seat set in recessed panel of gabled

bay in S boundary wall, with mandorla oculus above.

OUTER GATEPIERS: channelled ashlar rectangular piers with

moulded caps.

INNER GATEPIERS: 2 pairs, arranged between lodges.

Ashlar piers with moulded bases and capitals, and angles.

Raised pilasters to ingoes with carved scroll capitals.

Statement of Special Interest

Commissioned 1901 by Sir Alfred Lyttleton MP for whom

Lutyens later built another house in Kent. Bought by

William James in 1905, for whom Lutyens later designed

Monkton, West Sussex. Arts and Crafts observance of local

material and character with Edwardian Baroque touch

in doorway, lantern and E lodge. Referred to as a 'golf box'.

Lyttleton requested large number of bedrooms, hence

formal rooms are minimal. Entrance inscription, 'Ung Dieu,

Ung Roy' was Lyttleton's family motto. Gardens give

instance of later partnership with Jekyll. Use of Lorimer for

additions appropriate as he has been dubbed the Scottish





1911, p374.



C McWilliam LOTHIAN 1980, p 228-229.

About Listed Buildings

Listing is the way that a building or structure of special architectural or historic interest is recognised by law through the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest using the criteria published in the Historic Environment Scotland Policy Statement.

The statutory listing address is the legal part of the listing. The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The planning authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see Since 1 October 2015 we have been able to exclude items from a listing. If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.

If you want to alter, extend or demolish a listed building you need to contact your planning authority to see if you need listed building consent. The planning authority is the main point of contact for all applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at You can contact us on 0131 668 8716 or at


There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to GULLANE, DUNCUR ROAD, GREYWALLS WITH LODGES, GARDEN WALLS, GATEWAY AND GATEPIERS

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 15/11/2018 07:06