Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

EDGERSTON MILLLB13365

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
02/12/1993
Local Authority
Scottish Borders
Planning Authority
Scottish Borders
Parish
Jedburgh
NGR
NT 69328 10954
Coordinates
369328, 610954

Description

Circa 1837. Former 2-storey 3-bay T-plan crowstepped sawmill, converted to single dwelling 1991. Ruble with stugged ashlar dressings, crowstepped gables. N (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: door at ground at centre with projecting gabled bay above supported on corbel course, with single window and thistle finial. Flanking bays with large windows at ground, formed to right from former cart opening with timber lintel; 1st floor windows breaking eaves with gabled dormerheads.

E ELEVATION: large segmental headed window at ground, former cart opening; 1st floor window off-set to left. Projecting single storey single bay harled lean-to addition to S.

S ELEVATION: at far right back door to addition (see above). Wide advanced central bay with cat-slide roof and small window at eaves former wheel-house, now large kitchen; window in W return. Stair window to left, and much altered half-boarded window at far left.

W ELEVATION: door at centre at ground; tripartite window with tall narrow round-headed lights above. Low retaining wall and glass lean-to roof abutt at right angles.

Timber windows with vertical paning; some fixed, some casement. Grey slate roof. Tall ashlar diamond-shaped end stacks on square bases with deep coping. Moulded skewputts.

INTERIOR: completely rebuilt 1991.

Statement of Special Interest

Mill Cottage has date stone 1837, and complex appears on estate plan of 1839. Door in W elevation merely marks site where timber used to enter; it now has a stove behind it. Mill dam and lade were to the S. B Group with Mill Cottage to SE (see separate listing).

References

Bibliography

Register House Plan 31884, dated 1839.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to EDGERSTON MILL

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 25/06/2019 17:29