Robert Leslie Rollo, 1936-1940. 2-storey, 2-bay, International Modern gate lodge with advanced single storey bay to right with roof continued as a canopy over doorway, at entrance of hospital site. Smooth rendered and painted concrete blockwork. End stacks on projecting chimney breasts. Flat roof overhangs wall-heads. Metal-framed casement windows, in a variety of glazing patterns.
Quadrant Walls: straight, splayed quadrant walls of painted concrete blockwork and coped with low, square inner piers with shallow pyramidal cap and large square terminating piers.
The interior was seen in 2013 and has been modernised to office accommodation.
Statement of Special Interest
The gatelodge and quadrant walls are important ancillary components of Inverurie hospital which is a well-detailed and rare example of hospital building in the International Modern style. The gatelodge and quadrant walls have good Modern detailing, such as the canopied porch and full height stacks.
The Administration Block, Nurses' Home, Gatelodge and Quadrant Walls are largely-unaltered components of this 1936 hospital complex, and together constitute an important group and a rare example of a surviving International Modern style infectious diseases hospital buildings from the interwar period in Scotland.
Inverurie Hospital was built as the County Council Infectious Diseases Hospital and was designed in 1936 by Aberdeen City Architect, Robert Leslie Rollo, who worked in conjunction with the County Medical Officer for Health. It replaced an 1897 hospital on Cunninghill Road which was then demolished. Tenders for building Inverurie Hospital were examined on 17th December 1937 and construction commenced in 1938, with the hospital officially opening on 20 December 1940.
The interwar period was a notable phase in the building of infectious diseases hospitals as improved transportation encouraged greater centralisation of hospitals and new infectious diseases hospitals were often built to replace small rural hospitals. The planning of hospitals from this period utilised the pioneering cubicle isolation ward block, which was first introduced in the early 20th century. By isolating beds by glazed partitions, this new development of ward design allowed different types of infectious diseases to be treated within the same ward for the first time.
After the Second World War improvements in housing and particularly sanitary conditions, and improved methods of treatment as well of the discovery of new drugs led to a decline in mortality rates and the reduction of a patient's stay in hospital. The mass production of penicillin in particular, dramatically reduced the need for infectious diseases hospitals.
Thomas Tait's Hawkhead Hospital, Paisley (see separate listing) begun in 1932 and completed in 1936 set a new standard in hospital design in Scotland. The International Modern style conveyed the sense of the advancement of medical science, and the most up-to-date hospital care being available within and contrasted significantly with the classical and traditional styles of earlier infectious diseases hospitals. International Modernism was short lived in Scotland and buildings in this style are relatively rare.
Inverurie hospital originally consisted of an administration block, Nurses' home, two single storey ward blocks, an isolation block (later maternity ward), a building for ancillary functions (including boilerhouse), a pair of semidetached villas and a gatelodge. It could accommodate 60 beds, 20 in a cubicle isolation unit and the remaining 40 in a pair of single storey pavilions. The Nurses' residence contained 30 bedrooms, as well as a sitting room and study accommodation. The gatelodge was the caretaker's accommodation with an office and waiting room attached
Robert Leslie Rollo (1888-1948) started as an assistant at John Burnet & Son and worked on projects such as the British Museum extension (1905). Rollo's connection to Thomas Tait, who was a key member of J J Burnet's team in London, is significant to the Inverurie hospital commission. On his return from service in the First World War he moved to Aberdeen where he resumed independent practice in 1920 alongside teaching at the School of Architecture.
Listed building record and statutory address updated in 2014. Previously listed as 'Inverurie Hospital, Gatelodge and Quadrant Walls'.
Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland: http://www.rcahms.gov.uk/canmore.html CANMORE ID 107729.
Grampian Health Board Archives, County Council Minutes 1936-38, GRHB 41.
Friends of Inverurie Hospital (2004) A History of Inverurie Hospitals. Turriff: Peters.
Shepherd, I. (2006) Aberdeenshire, Donside and Strathbogie: an illustrated architectural guide. Edinburgh: RIAS. pp. 124, 129.
Historic Scotland (2010) Building Up Our Health: the Architecture of Scotland's Historic Hospitals. Edinburgh: Historic Scotland. p.75.
Dictionary of Scottish Architects, Robert Leslie Rollo at http://www.scottisharchitects.org.uk/architect_full.php?id=203510 (accessed 31 July 2014)
Richardson, H. (Undated) Scottish Hospitals Survey, Unpublished typescript.
About Listed Buildings
Listing is the way that a building or structure of special architectural or historic interest is recognised by law through the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest using the criteria published in the Historic Environment Scotland Policy Statement.
The statutory listing address is the legal part of the listing. The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The planning authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historicenvironment.scot. Since 1 October 2015 we have been able to exclude items from a listing. If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
If you want to alter, extend or demolish a listed building you need to contact your planning authority to see if you need listed building consent. The planning authority is the main point of contact for all applications for listed building consent.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot. You can contact us on 0131 668 8716 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.
There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to GATE LODGE AND QUADRANT WALLS, INVERURIE HOSPITAL, ST JAMES'S PLACE AND UPPERBOAT ROAD, INVERURIE
There are no images available for this record.
Printed: 14/11/2018 21:59