Early 19th century, incorporating fragment of later 18th century mansion; late 20th century cattle court addition. Single and 2-storey, L-plan threshing barn range (other parts of steading demolished) on falling ground. Rubble masonry, re-used buckle-type and rusticated quoins, slate roof.
W ELEVATION: large opening to centre, window to left, door to far left; fragment of mansion to right, 2 blocked symmetrical doors with buckle- type quoin architraves, lintel course, 2 inverted keystones above, further later door to far right, buckle-type quoins to angles at outer left and right; 5 rooflights.
S ELEVATION: fragment of mansion, masked by modern timber cattle court. 3 doors to ground floor, remains of fluted architraves, string course at 1st floor level, 2 asymmetrical windows at 1st floor; stone forestair to ground level at far left; rusticated quoins to angle at far right with projecting millstone at base; piended roof, 2 rooflights.
E ELEVATION: blank gable advanced to left (fragment of mansion), bay adjoining to right with large opening and cat-slide roof, long blank bay recessed to far right, 8 rooflights.
N GABLE: opening to ground floor centre, large opening to upper level.
INTERIOR: partitions and most floors removed; 3 barrel-vaulted chambers entered from S elevation.
GATEPIERS AND ADJOINING WALLS AT FARMHOUSE: 2 rough-hewn ashlar gatepiers with various mask moulded stones incorporated; adjoining rubble walls with various moulded stones including Corinthian capital and sun motif; various animal and human effigy stones.
Statement of Special Interest
This building is listed for its later 18th century mansion house fragments. A mansion house with formal planting is shown on Stobie?s 1783 map, although not on Adair?s map of 1720. The first OS map (surveyed 1861) shows no trace of a mansion house, only a U-plan steading and farmhouse, the E range and (unlisted) farmhouse remaining. The OS name book of 1861 gives the owner as Captain Trotter of Balindean, although the property may have formed part of the Hallyburton and Rossie estates at different times. The OSA mentions that two estates were let in the upper part of the parish in 1767, ?improved? and a mansion house built on each; South Ballo might have been one of these.