Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site


Status: Designated


There are no additional online documents for this record.


Date Added
Local Authority
Perth And Kinross
Planning Authority
Perth And Kinross
NO 26033 32712
326033, 732712


Later 19th century. Single storey and attic, L-plan farmhouse on falling ground. Stugged and snecked cream rubble to S elevation, random rubble elsewhere, stugged red sandstone dressings, grey slate roof. Sash and case windows, 8-pane to ground floor, 4-pane to attic, relieving arches to S elevation; bracketted eaves, plain bargeboards; coped end stacks with thackstanes, shouldered wallhead stack rising through eaves at W elevation.

S ELEVATION: lower bays to right, door to left with later glazed porch, bipartite window to right, rooflight; gable to left, bipartite window to ground floor, single to attic.

E GABLE: window to ground floor right, window to attic left; window to slightly recessed single storey bay at right.

W ELEVATION: bipartite window to ground floor left, gabled dormerhead window above; window to single storey bay at left.

INTERIOR: no special features.

STEADING: early 19th century steading, mid 19th century additions, cottage and bothy of 18th century origin; machinery shed late 19th century with late 20th century additions. Steading; single storey and single storey and attic, irregular-plan group of ranges, on falling ground. Rubble, whinstone implement shed, irregular ashlar dressings, piended and gabled slate roofs, pantiles to central section. Boarded doors and openings.

S ELEVATION: granary to left; 2 enlarged openings to left, blocked door to right, 3 granary openings above, 2 rooflights. Long lower bay to right; door to left, 2 rooflights, open slates.

E ELEVATION: 3 piend-roofed bays advanced to left; large 2-leaf sliding doors to centre, right bay blank, left bay masked by dilapidated timber and corrugated metal shed, open slates to centre and left bay, 2 rooflights, some corrugated asbestos to roof of right bay. Blank bay recessed to right, small poultry house at re-entrant.

N ELEVATION: door and 2 windows to ground floor right, gabled hayloft door above left, 2 rooflights.

W ELEVATION: threshing barn to left; various ground floor openings, gabled hayloft door, 3 rooflights, boarded opening and rooflight to right return, 3-bay implement shed with piended roof advanced to left, pentice roof brick shed advanced to right. Recessed bays to right; granary gable to right with door and forestair at ground floor, door to granary, large paired doors to left.

INTERIOR: substantial alterations.

COTTAGE AND BOTHY: single storey, rectangular-plan range consisting of 5-bay cottage and 3-bay bothy, situated close to steading at NE angle. Rubble, some stugged red ashlar, slate roof. Boulder base course at bothy, margined doors, enlarged window openings with modern timber windows, cut-down stacks.

FRONT ELEVATION: bothy to left; door to centre, window to left and right. Cottage to right; door to centre, narrow window to left and right, window to outer left and right. 2 blocked windows to right return gable.

REAR ELEVATION: rubble and brick addition with cat-slide roof to cottage at left, window and blocked window to bothy at right.

INTERIOR: full-height boarded walls; some original chimneypieces, advanced chimneybreast at cottage; datestone 1728 retrieved from chimney at cottage/bothy dividing wall.

MACHINERY SHED: high, rectangular-plan machinery shed to N of farmhouse. Concrete frame, boarded timber walls, open slate roof, swept to S. Modern timber and corrugated metal additions to N and W in compatible style.

Statement of Special Interest

Newton Gray Farmhouse and Steading was formerly part of the Rossie estate. The buildings are picturesquely grouped adjoining the road, a factor in their listing. There was a fire in the thrashing barn and adjoining central range during the 1920s, resulting in the re-roofing of the latter with pantiles. The cottage may have been the original farmhouse, although the bothy appears to be older. The datestone 1728 retrieved from the west chimney of the cottage (now displayed in the cottage) may have formerly been on the east outside wall of the bothy.



Information ex Mr Anderson, proprietor: OS maps (1867), (1900).

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at


There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to NEWTON GRAY, FARMHOUSE AND STEADING, INCLUDING COTTAGE AND BOTHY, AND MACHINERY SHED

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 16/01/2021 00:07