Later 19th century. Near-symmetrical terrace of four 2-storey cottages. Shuttered concrete, lined as ashlar, painted margins, slate roof. Mostly original lattice-paned top-hopper windows (out-of- character uPVC at No 1), lugged concrete margins with shallowly-pointed lintels to doors and windows, gable dormerheads to 1st floor, original boarded door to No 3, S elevation (out-of-character modern doors elsewhere; bracketted eaves, plain bargeboards, various rooflights, coped ridge stacks.
S ELEVATION: Nos 2 and 3 to centre; door to left, window to right, window to 1st floor. No 1 (Chapel Cottage) to left; door to centre, window to left and right, 2 windows to 1st floor. No 4 to right; door to right, window to left, window to 1st floor, stair window to right return gable.
W GABLE: single storey canted bay, bipartite window with gable dormerhead, blocked window to left and right, blocked door to left return, window to main gable at left.
N ELEVATION: No 1 (Chapel Cottage) to far right; window to ground floor left, forestair to door at 1st floor, window to left and right. No 2 to centre right; off-centre door to right, window to left and right,
2 windows to 1st floor (1 without gable dormerhead). No 3 to centre left; off-centre door to right, window to left and right, paired windows to 1st floor. No 4 to far left; door to left, window to right, paired window to 1st floor.
INTERIOR: not fully seen, but no features of specific interest apparent.
Statement of Special Interest
Listed category B on account of the relatively early use of shuttered concrete. Joiners? and builders? signatures and the date 1872 were revealed by Mr Carr at the 1st floor of No 2 during the 1930s. The terrace was reputedly built for the domestic servants of the Rossie Dower House (The Knapp House, demolished) which stood within the policy walls to the south. Melville mentions that this house was originally a gamekeeper?s cottage before renovation as a Dower House. Chapel Cottage formerly housed an Episcopal Chapel at its first floor, established by Frances, Lady Kinnaird, following the death of her husband and the accession of Arthur Kinnaird to the baronetcy in 1887. The eleventh Baron was not an Episcopalian. All Souls? Church, Invergowrie was subsequently (1891) built under the patronage of Frances, Lady Kinnaird.