[William] Paterson, Dundee, 1846. Single storey, T-plan school. Random rubble, stugged and margined ashlar dressings, grey slate roof. Chamfered doorcases and windows, 10-lying-pane top-hopper timber window frames; coped skews with skewblocks, end stacks (cut-down at E).
S ELEVATION: symmetrical; 3 windows to centre, door to left and right.
E ELEVATION: entrance porch with swept roof to left re-entrant, 2 windows to right; advanced gable to left, 2 windows, window to right return.
W ELEVATION: 3 windows to left (bipartite to centre); gable advanced to right with window to left return, pentice-roof bay advanced to left, rubble, boarded timber, corrugated metal roof.
N GABLE: 2 windows, decorative cast-iron finial.
INTERIOR: not seen.
BOUNDARY WALLS: rubble-coped rubble boundary walls to N, E, E and W; rubble built out-building to W.
Statement of Special Interest
The school was built as a Free Church School, and forms a B group with Muirhead School (Later Building), The Old School House 147 Coupar Angus Road, Lundie and Muirhead Church, and Lundie and Muirhead War Memorial. The Mr Paterson referred to in the Minutes of 11th May 1846 is probably William Paterson, noted as an architect in the DUNDEE DIRECTORY for 1850.