Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.


Status: Removed


There are no additional online documents for this record.


Date Added
Date Removed:
Local Authority
Perth And Kinross
Planning Authority
Perth And Kinross
Liff And Benvie
NO 35069 30150
335069, 730150

Removal Reason

Dual designation


Earlier 16th century, later N aisle. Roofless rectangular-plan church, extended on N elevation by shorter aisle. Pink and grey rubble sandstone, irregular quoins, other dressings ashlar. Chamfered openings and cavetto wallhead course to S elevation; string course at wallhead level, E and W gables, pediments slightly recessed, moulded skewputts and evidence of coped skews; Tudor-arched door to W gable. N aisle, coursed pink and grey squared rubble sandstone, eroded droved ashlar quoins; pointed arches; ashlar corbel table to wallhead.

S ELEVATION: round-headed nave door to left, square-headed chancel door to right flanked on left by formerly trefoil-headed window and on right by blocked square-headed window.

W ELEVATION: door to original gable at right; large pointed-arch door with moulded surround to later aisle at left, wrought-iron gates and grilles.

E ELEVATION: original gable to left, remains of Bourke family burial enclosure, 2 classical memorial plaques, part of N elevation to right return blank; N aisle gable recessed to right, remains of burial enclosure (droved ashlar), moulded pointed-arch window with stone slab infill sculpted in imitation of large diamond-pane glazing.

N ELEVATION: predominantly blank; gun-barrel waterspout to left.

INTERIOR: original building; tombstones on floor, remains of water spout to E of nave door, Clayhill family memorials at N wall. N aisle; blocked doorway and round-headed arch at S wall (external wall of original building), Mylne family memorial at N wall.

CHURCHYARD: 18th and 19th century tombstones, rubble enclosing wall, collapsed in places, round-headed ashlar gateposts to W.

COCKS/COX TOMBS: Cocks family burial enclosure, ashlar tombstone, cast-iron railings; Cox family burial enclosure, polished Peterhead granite surmounted by urn, cast-iron railings.

STANDING STONE: unmarked standing stone at NW corner.

Statement of Special Interest

St Peter's Church and Churchyard is a Scheduled Monument. The church is sometimes referred to as Dargie church. The church is claimed to be the oldest ecclesiastical foundation north of the Tay, being founded by St Boniface during the late 7th century, who also went on to establish the church at Tealing and Restenneth. There was formerly a carved stone in the blocked window to the east of the south elevation, now in the collection of the Royal Museum of Scotland, Edinburgh. The trefoil-headed window of the south elevation, now seriously eroded, is shown in MacGibbon and Ross. See also the NOTES to Liff Parish Church.

Scheduled Ancient Monument, No 2996.



Arthur B Dalgetty, THE CHURCH AND PARISH OF LIFF (1940), pp36-7; Andrew Jervise, EPITAPHS AND INSCRIPTIONS (1875), vol I, pp193-6; David MacGibbon and Thomas Ross, THE ECCLESIASTICAL ARCHITECTURE OF SCOTLAND (1897), vol III, pp454-5; Charles McKean and David Walker, DUNDEE, AN ILLUSTRATED INTRODUCTION (1985), p130; Lawrence Melville, THE FAIR LAND OF GOWRIE (1939), pp177-8; Alexander J Warden, ANGUS OR FORFARSHIRE (1884), vol IV, p172; OSA (1794), vol XIII, p117.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at


There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to INVERGOWRIE, ST PETER'S CHURCH, INCLUDING CHURCHYARD, COCKS/COX TOMBS AND STANDING STONE

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 16/06/2019 19:35