Listed Building

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site only. All other information in the record is not statutory.

POLTON BANK, ST ANN'S MOUNTLB13206

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
04/02/1993
Local Authority
Midlothian
Planning Authority
Midlothian
Parish
Lasswade
NGR
NT 29360 64792
Coordinates
329360, 664792

Description

Originally circa 1810, with mid 19th century additions. 2-storey, 5 bay picturesquely situated hillside villa with eclectic details. Stugged grey sandstone ashlar to front (W); pink sandstone rubble to remainder. Base course; dividing cornice; raised cills to addition; balustrade between ground and 1st floors to centre and right; eaves course and cornice; crenellations to tower; long and short quoins.

W (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: architraved doorway with multi-pane, 2-leaf doors and letterbox fanlight above in bay to left of centre; tripartite, advanced window to right; window in each bay at 1st floor above; balustraded balcony spanning both bays at cill level, supported by two large consoles framing door. Full-height 3-light canted window to outer left. Full-height 2-light semi-circular tower in penultimate bay to right; window at each floor in bay to outer right.

E (REAR) ELEVATION: asymmetrical, 5-bay, grouped 3-2. 3-bay group to left: part-glazed timber panelled door with window to left flanking at ground in bay to centre; window at 1st floor above. Boarded door at ground in bay to outer left; window at 1st floor above. Window at each floor in bay to right; lean-to addition at ground to outer right. 2-bay group to right: single light three-quarter circular tower to left; window at each floor. Window at each floor in bay to right.

S (SIDE) ELEVATION: blank wall with square-plan, piend roof addition to left of centre; square window to front (S). Wallhead stack above.

N (SIDE) ELEVATION: blank wall with barred window at ground to outer right. Central, wallhead stack above.

Variety of glazing patterns including lying pane timber sash and case window to canted addition, 12-, 8- and 2- pane timber sash and case windows to remainder. Grey slate piended roof; grey slate to outbuilding; ashlar coped wallhead stacks to N and S; ashlar skews to outbuilding; cast-iron rainwater goods.

INTERIOR: original stone staircase with decorative cast-iron banisters and timber handrail; architraved doors; pilastered marble fireplace; original fitted cupboards at return of 1st floor landing. Later addition; some original features including kitchen at ground and some 1st floor light fittings. Various alterations.

OUTBUILDINGS: piend-roofed, rectangular-plan garage to NE. Pink sandstone rubble with brick lean-to addition to right.

Statement of Special Interest

The house was originally a 2-storey, 3-bay piended roofed symmetrical villa, possibly with flanking wings, now replaced. A full height canted bay window was added, to the left of the door, with an advanced window to the right. A stone balustrade, stretching over the door and the new, added window was also added, all reminiscent of Burn and Bryce, circa 1835-40. A 2-storey, 2-bay addition to S (right-hand side) was at this time, or possibly later, probably partially re-using the original fabric. The semi-circular, crenellated tower adds to the picturesque of the building. As with the principal elevation, the rear has also been altered somewhat. The protruding tower, now sited to the right of centre, would probably have been the central stair element of the original house. St Ann's Mount was is sited on a steep hill, overlooking the North Esk. It was originally set in pleasure gardens, formerly with its own well and water pump. It was probably built, as were most of the villas in the glen, for a mill manager or owner.

References

Bibliography

Appears on 1st edition (1854) OS map, the plan as it appears now. DIRECTORY TO GENTLEMENS AND NOBLES SEATS IN SCOTLAND (1851), "St Anne's Lasswade", occupied by Henderson and Widell. GRH VR 108 (Valuation Rolls, earliest for Midlothian 1855-1856); proprietor Miss Murray,

6 Moray Place, Edin; tenant/occupier Miss Little: St Anne's Mount PARK: proprietor, the Right Hon. Lord Handyside, 6 Moray Place, Edin; tenant/occupier, A Simpson, COUNTY DIRECTORY (1882-5), occupied by

Wm Brown Thomson MD, FRCS.

About Listed Buildings

Listing is the way that a building or structure of special architectural or historic interest is recognised by law through the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest using the criteria published in the Historic Environment Scotland Policy Statement.

The statutory listing address is the legal part of the listing. The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The planning authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historicenvironment.scot. Since 1 October 2015 we have been able to exclude items from a listing. If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.

If you want to alter, extend or demolish a listed building you need to contact your planning authority to see if you need listed building consent. The planning authority is the main point of contact for all applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot. You can contact us on 0131 668 8716 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to POLTON BANK, ST ANN'S MOUNT

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 18/11/2018 16:28