Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

FOWLIS MILL INCLUDING OUTBUILDING AND ROAD BRIDGE OVER FOWLIS BURN WITH SLUICE WALLSLB13146

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
26/08/1992
Local Authority
Angus
Planning Authority
Angus
Parish
Fowlis Easter
NGR
NO 32158 33431
Coordinates
332158, 733431

Description

Late 18th century, extended ealry-mid 19th century, inset datestone '1714'. Single 2- and 3-storey, grain mill including cartshed and barns in an L-plan group, stepped on falling ground adjoining Fowlis Burn at head of Fowles Den. Rubble built, stugged ashlar dressings, slate roof. Windows and openings either blocked, open or with derelict astragelled frames.

S ELEVATION:

CENTRE BLOCK: advanced, asymmetrical; arrow slit ventilator to centre, window to ground and 1st floor left, dormerheaded window with half-piended roof to far left, door to left return elevation; window to ground (datestone to left) and 1st floor right, ground floor window to far wight, door with window to 1st floor at outer right, large opening to 1st floor right return; 5 rooflights.

BLOCK TO LEFT: recessed; door and sliding door to right, door blocked as window to left masked by roofed yard, later bay advanced at far left with half-piended roof, segmental cart-arch masked by roofed yard formed in re-entrant with coped rubble wall and 2 hemispherically-capped gatepiers.

BLOCK TO RIGHT: recessed; stone forestair to centre left with platt supported by brick wall, 1 door under platt and door to right, door to 1st floor, window to left, 2 cart-arch openings to right, 2 windows to 1st floor, 2 rooflights.

BLOCK TO FAR RIGHT: single storey bay with collapsed piended roof, rubble yard walls to front with 2 hemispherically-capped gatepiers as above. W ELEVATION: blank, blocked doorway to left.

N ELEVATION, adjoining Fowlis Burn: block to centre (probably earlier part); door to ground floor left, 2 windows of differing sizes to right, 2 small windows above, steel frames window to 1st floor, 3 windows to 2nd floor, quoins to former angles of building at left and right. Later bay to left with window at 2nd floor, bay to right with blocked segmental arch at ground floor.

ADVANCED BLOCK TO RIGHT: single storey on higher ground, 2 windows (1 bricked up).

INTERIOR: machinery removed; ground floor/basement has fireplace for kiln, 3 grinding stones, small fanning machine, evidence of machine fixing points in walls and floor.

OUTBUILDING: Later 19th century. Single storey, rectangular-plan outbuilding to SE. Rubble, half-piended slate roof. Various openings to N, including partially blocked segmental cart-arch. Roof partially ruinous. ROAD BRIDGE OVER FOWLIS BURN, adjoining mill to NW: single span, segmental-arch road bridge, possibly 18th century. Rubble, stugged rubble voussoirs, rubble coped parapet. Remains of sluice walls no NW. Pond drained.

Statement of Special Interest

The mill is shown on the 1783 map and as a corn mill on the 1799 map, although the detail is insufficient to show the extent or plan of the building. The plan of the building in its present form appears on the 1861 OS map (as a corn and barley mill), by which time the area to the NW of the bridge had been transformed from a lint mill(as shown on the 1799 map) to the mill pond. The indented datestone 'I.I.I.M 1714' refers to the Murrays of Ochtertyre, lairds of Fowlis (see NOTES to Fowlis Castle). The mill is picturesquely situated on the opposite bank of the Fowlis Den to the Parish Church.

References

Bibliography

Plan of Roads in Dispute, DFowlis and Lundie, James Stobie, surveyor, 1799, SRO, RHP 14.2; OS map, 1861; Map of the Counties of Perth and Clackmannan, James Stobie, 1783, SRO, RHP.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to FOWLIS MILL INCLUDING OUTBUILDING AND ROAD BRIDGE OVER FOWLIS BURN WITH SLUICE WALLS

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 17/06/2019 09:39