Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.


Status: Designated


There are no additional online documents for this record.


Date Added
Local Authority
Dumfries And Galloway
Planning Authority
Dumfries And Galloway
NX 42139 52129
242139, 552129


Late 18th century. 2-storey and attic building. Probably originally built as water-powered textule mill, converted to grain milling in early 19th century by William routledge of cumbria. Probably at this time the internal floor levels were altered to give the current 4 floor levels lit by inserted windows. Last used for processing animal feed, with most internal machinery dated from the 20th century.

EXTERIOR: 2-storey and attic building, with long elevations. Original 18th century part is symmetrical 2-3-2 central part with 2-bay full-height additions to E andf W of early 19th century (to E housing kiln, to W with cartshed to ground and store above). Original building symmetrical on plan and in elevation; central 3 bays advanced to front and read, 3-bay flanks. Packed rubble walling with good dressed granite quoins, cills and lintels. Additions executed in similar materials. Single storey gabled wing to rear (former byre). Granite quions, sandstone ridge and skew. All original windows single light and of generous dimensions, variety of glazing, some windows blocked or narrowed. 19th century alterations inserted windows at mezzanine levels to light new floor arrangements. Additional full-height blocks to E and W with lower lean-to-end bays. Continuous roofline of good graded slates (except to E over kiln which is corrugated asbestos re-roofed after fie in 1940) indicating that roof dates from earlier-mid 19th century. Skews to W and over kiln. Kiln vent rebuilt.

INTERIOR: some indication of original floor levels, and possible fireplace to ground and attic floors. Otherwise, present floor levels probably date from Routledge's conversion to grain milling. Supports for stones bed exist to ground floor, indicating 4 pairs of stones, but all other machinery connected with 19th century grain milling has been removed, the present machinery, hoists, fanners, dressers etc all dating from 20th century use in animal food processing. The kiln was rebuilt circa 1940 following a fire.

Statement of Special Interest

There is no documentary evidence for Milldriggan having been a textile mill, however several outstanding features make its origin as a purpose-built grain mill extremely unlikely. The size and quality of the building itself finds no parallel in rural grain mills, but is very similar to textile mills in the South West, see Minnigaff Mill, Kirkcowan Waulk Mill and Gatehouse of Fleet Bobbin Mill. The high original floor level and generous provision of windows all indicate the Milldriggan was conceived as a textile mill. Local tradition states that a carding mill was located across the burn from Milldriggan. The water wheel was located in the western section of the original building, probably occupying the original wheelpit. The last wheel used was made by J R Wallace of Castle Douglas and was installed at Milldriggan in 1924, replacing a smaller wooden wheel. It was removed and reinstalled in 1991 to the Bobbin Mill, Gatehouse of Fleet. It is all iron, overshot and has a diameter of 20ft. Consent granted 1991 for conversion to 6 dwellings.



RCAHMS Survey sheet. J R Hune, 1976, p265.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at


There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to MILLDRIGGAN MILL

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 20/05/2019 19:48