Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.


Status: Designated


There are no additional online documents for this record.


Date Added
Local Authority
Planning Authority
NO 30899 36122
330899, 736122


Late 18th century; 2-storey and attic, 3-bay, L-plan house, made irregular-plan by single storey addition to front, earlier 20th century; major renovations 1970s.

Harled rubble, slate roof. Margined windows to front and W gable, variety of glazing patterns predominantly 12-pane sash and case; half-piended canted dormers with plate-glass sash and case glazing, bipartite dormer at rear. Coped skews with skew blocks, coped end stacks.

S ELEVATION: single storey flat-roofed projection to centre, partially glazed door with large diamond-paned glazing pattern, window to left return. 2-leaf partially glazed door with fanlight to left re-entrant with projecting open round-arched porch; bipartite round-headed 12-pane casements at main house to left, sinilar to right but square-headed, 3 vertical 12-pane casements to 1st floor, 2 dormers, 1 rooflight. E return gable blank.

W ELEVATION: gable to right, 2 windows to ground floor, 1 to 1st, half-piended roof to left return; narrow single storey bay with window to far left; higher wide single storey bay with window to far left; higher, wide single storey blank bay to outer left.

N ELEVATION: multi-pane glazed door and 2 windows to canted entrance porch with segmental conical roof at right re-entrant, multi-pane stair window to left, dormer above, bipartite window to far left, window to 1st floor; 2-storey gable advanced to right, window to left flanked by grotesque mask corbel stones, 2 windows to slightly higher bay to right, further mask corbel to right return elevation.

INTERIOR: not seen.

GARDEN HOUSE: single storey, rectangular-plan garden house. Rubble. Roof collapsed and structure almost entirely covered with creeper. Door and 2 windows with chamfered margins to N elevation, datestone 'AD 1683' inset to left; lintel dated '1683' to door at S. Coped rubble wall adjoins to E and W gables.

Statement of Special Interest

These buildings are on the site of Lundie Castle, supposedly erected by Sir John Campbell of Lundie in the earlier 16th century, demolished in the earlier 19th century. The N range of the house (formerly Lundie Castle Farmhouse) and the garden house probably contains masonry from the castle, including the mask corbel stones. The steading (shown of the 1860 OS map) stood to the E of the house and the garden house appears to have formed part of it. The initialled datestone probably refers to Alex ander Duncan of Lundie and his wife Ann Drummond of Megginch; similar stones are to be seen at Lundie Mill and the former school (1672 and 1677 respectively). The link with the castle is a factor in the listing of these buildings.



OS map, 1860.

Arthur Daw, 'The Little World of Lundie', in SCOTS MAGAZINE, January 1970.

Andrew Jervise EPITAPHS AND INSCRIPTIONS (1879), vol II, pp64-5. Alexander J Warden, ANGUS OR FORFARSHIRE (1884), vol IV, p268.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at


There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to LUNDIE CASTLE INCLUDING ENCLOSING WALLS AND GATEPIERS AND GARDEN HOUSE

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 25/08/2019 12:26