1851-2; extended later 19th century. Single storey, rectangular-plan school made L-plan by later 19th century addition and irregular plan by later large entrance porch in re-entrant angle. Stugged coursed and snecked rubble, random rubble at rear, stugged coursed and snecked rubble, random rubble at rear, stugged and margined ashlar dressings, grey slate roof. Y-traceried windows at S gable, 12-pane sash and case at W elevation, top-hopper multi-pane elsewhere. Deep eaves at finialled gables with exposed purlin ends and decorative bargeboards; 3 ridge ventilators; corniced octagonal stack at N gable; cast-iron rainwater goods with some decorative hoppers..
S ELEVATION: gable at left originally with 3 round-headed windows, centre window part obliterated by slapping of garage door, moulded cross-sjaped arrow -slit ventilator at gablehead, panelled door with fanlight at flat-roofed entrance porch recessed at right, window at right return with re-used datestone 'AD-AD 1677'; cut-down shouldered wallhead stack at recessed bay at far right.
W ELEVATION: 3 symmetrically placed windows.
E GABLE: stepped tripartite window with corbelled cill, roundel ornament at roof space.
N ELEVATION: gable at right with lean-to, window at roof space, blank bay at left, gabled dormer.
INTERIOR: original doors, boarded dado, ventilator ducts, moulded cornices and chimneypiece.
BOUNDARY WALL: rubble boundary wall at W.
Statement of Special Interest
Apart from the breach in the wall to create garage doors at the S gable and the cut-down stack, the school is in original condition, the survival of the interior being particularly notable and surprising. The reused datestone was probably removed from Lundie Castle which was demolished in the earlier 19th century, and refers to Alexander Duncan on Lundie and his wife, Ann Drummond of Megginch; it is similar to that at Lundie Mill nearby, and a slightly later stone (1683) at the garden house, Lundie Castle. There is a cast-iron drinking fountain (G Kennedy, Patentee, Kilmarnock) set into the wall of the former school House to the S of the boundary wall mentioned above. A Mr P Scott, architect is mentioned for various building projects on the Lundie estate during the 1850s and he may have been responsible for this school. Alternatively, the cross-shaped ventilator suggests George Matthewson.