There are no additional online documents for this record.
- Date Added
- Local Authority
- Argyll And Bute
- Planning Authority
- Argyll And Bute
- Glenorchy And Inishail
- NN 30026 39442
- 230026, 739442
Attributed to James Miller, 1893-4. Single storey, rectangular-plan, near-symmetrical island station building with deep swept roof carried over canopy on either side. Painted base course; brick plinth; timber-framed with scalloped shingle wall covering. Panelled angle pilasters. Glazed screens to outer left and right. Timber panelled doors with 3-light fanlights; Bipartite and canted windows. Swept eaves extend on carved consoles to form canopy.
Timber framed windows, astragalled to upper section. Non-traditional felt roof (originally grey slate). Brick ridge stack. INTERIOR: remodelled for use as bunk house.
SIGNAL BOX (Map Ref: NN 30040, 39393): on platform to S of station building: square-plan, North British Railways Type 6a signal box. Red brick plinth; glazed timber framed upper panels; 3 fixed 9-pane glazing. Piended slate roof, lead flashings; projecting eaves, exposed rafters.
SUBWAY AND RAILINGS: entry to station via pedestrian subway underpass to N. Concrete and reconstituted stone; decorative wrought iron railings to island platform.
Statement of Special Interest
Bridge of Orchy Station is one of a series of island platform stations designed specifically for the West Highland Railway (sponsored by the North British Railway Company) in the 1890s. Featuring a piended bell-cast roof extending to form a canopy over each elevation, they are built in a distinctive and picturesque 'Swiss Chalet' style chosen to compliment the scenic route covered by the railway. As a series, the stations add considerably to the architectural and historic interest of one of Scotland's most exceptional railway journeys. The original scalloped shingles are understood to have been imported from Switzerland.
The West Highland Railway which runs between Craigendoran and Fort William was opened in 1894. Bridge of Orchy station, like Garelochhead, Tyndrum Upper and Rannoch (see separate listings), is of the island platform type introduced by Charles De Neuville Forman, the engineer of the West Highland Railway. The station design is attributed to the influential Glaswegian architect James Miller, although Robert Wemyss may have contributed to the designs while working with John James Burnet. James Miller had formerly worked as an assistant in the architectural office of the Caledonian Railway, thereby gaining considerable experience in designing railway stations. The station was originally glazed with small-pane, timber astraglled windows and had a grey slate roof.
Signal boxes are a distinctive and now rare building type that make a significant contribution to Scotland's diverse industrial heritage. Of more than 2000 signal boxes built across Scotland by 1948, around 150 currently survive (2013) with all pre-1948 mechanical boxes still in operation on the public network due to become obsolete by 2021. The former signal box at Bridge of Orchy is an example of the characteristic Type 6a boxes by the North British Railway Company, designed and modified specifically for use on the platforms of the West Highland Railway. Its shallow, piended roof and overhanging eaves are in keeping with the Swiss-chalet style of the station buildings. The associated group value with the station, and with the exceptional engineering and scenic interest of the West Highland Line more broadly, add to its interest. Other examples on the route include Garelochhead, Upper Tyndrum and Rannoch (see separate listings).
List description updated as part of Scottish Signal Box Review (2012-13).
G Dow, The Story Of The West Highland (1947). The Signalling Study Group, The Signal Box - A Pictorial History and Guide To Designs (1986). F A Walker and F Sinclair, North Clyde Estuary (1992) p101, 120. John McGregor One Hundred Years Of The West Highland Railway (1994). Peter Kay and Derek Coe, Signalling Atlas and Signal Box Directory - Great Britain and Ireland (2010 - 3rd Edition). RIBA, James Miller - Obituary (1947).
About Listed Buildings
Listing is the way that a building or structure of special architectural or historic interest is recognised by law through the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest using the criteria published in the Historic Environment Scotland Policy Statement.
The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing and if a number or name is missing from a listing address it may still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing can also cover structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The planning authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. Since 1 October 2015 we have been able to exclude items from a listing. If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
If you want to alter, extend or demolish a listed building you need to contact your planning authority to see if you need listed building consent. The planning authority advises on the need for listed building consent and they also decide what a listing covers. The planning authority is the main point of contact for all applications for listed building consent.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8716 or at email@example.com.
There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to BRIDGE OF ORCHY STATION INCLUDING SIGNAL BOX, SUBWAY AND RAILINGS
There are no images available for this record.
Printed: 19/04/2019 07:28