Listed Building

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site only. All other information in the record is not statutory.

CORRA LINN, BONNINGTON PAVILIONLB13065

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
A
Date Added
21/04/1980
Supplementary Information Updated
21/08/1995
Local Authority
South Lanarkshire
Planning Authority
South Lanarkshire
Parish
Lanark
NGR
NS 88486 41473
Coordinates
288486, 641473

Description

Dated 1708; alterations circa 1790-1820 and 1926. 2-storey, 3-bay, square-plan, classical viewing pavilion situated on high cliff overlooking Corra Linn with entrance to E above rusticated basement and doorway to W with 20th century iron balcony. Polished ashlar to principal (E) elevation and dressings; local sandstone rubble, originally harled, to side and rear elevations. Base plinth; string course; moulded eaves cornice. Rusticated quoins. Bolection-moulded, corniced, shouldered door and window architraves to principal elevation; tabbed margins elsewhere.

E (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: central doorway to principal floor flanked by windows. Carved frieze to doorway inscribed MDCCVIII. 2 blocked window openings with false-arched lintels at basement, one to left partially obscured by steps now rising from the S, positioned against front elevation (originally rose to centre from E).

INTERIOR: Bolection-moulded fireplace at SW corner.

Statement of Special Interest

Bonnington Pavilion, also known as Corra Linn Pavilion and the Hall of Mirrors, is of outstanding national value as the earliest surviving Scottish garden building situated so as to enjoy a Picturesque view of the surrounding scenery, inspiring awe and wonder in the viewer. There is a long history of visitors to this spot in the 18th and 19th centuries and Bonnington and its neighbour Corehouse across the river were open to paying visitors in the 19th century. The pavilion is also important as an early example of Scottish classicism. It is also one of the few remaining components of designed landscape at the Bonnington estate. Bonnington is one of a small group of designed landscapes around the Falls of Clyde which are recognised as of outstanding importance in the Inventory of Gardens and Designed Landscapes.

The pavilion was built for Sir James Carmichael in 1708, possibly to designs prepared by Alexander Edward, and it formed a visual focus in the designed landscape within the Bonnington estate. It had fallen into disrepair by the time of Thomas Pennant's visit in 1769. The development of the estate including the building of the new house and the repair of the pavilion may have been instigated by Admiral Sir John Lockhart-Ross from the 1770s. The pavilion was in good repair by 1837 when it was sketched by Alexander Archer. Sir John may have been responsible for installing mirrors inside the pavilion, positioned to see the waterfall to its best effect and provide surprising views, the mirrors being in place before the 1790s. When the estate passed into the hands of General Sir Charles Lockhart Ross in 1817, he and his wife, Lady Mary Ross, were involved in further improvements on the estate and may have made alterations to the pavilion such as enlarging the window overlooking the Falls. Lady Mary is also remembered for the steps which she had built giving access to the foot of the Corra Linn Falls and for a fountain beside the path between Corra Linn and Bonnington Linn. By about 1830 the pavilion had been incorporated into an extensive system of riverside walks cut into the woodland, which conducted visitors to several of the best viewpoints of the river.

The pavilion was originally approached from Bonnington House (now demolished) at E by a terraced walk flanked by trees or from the S along what was later known as the curved terrace. This accounts for the more sophisticated details on the E and S side. When the pipes for the Bonnington Power station were built to the E in 1926, the E approach was cut off. The stairs leading to the upper floor, that had previously been in line with the approach from the E, had to be reoriented to rise along the E wall of the pavilion, thus partially obscuring one of the windows on the lower floor.

Photographs taken in 1920s show the pavilion still relatively intact with a steep, bell-cast pavilion roof and sash and case windows; however, the roof seems to have already been in poor condition by then. It is not clear when the roof structure collapsed or was removed but by 1990s only the masonry shell survived.

List description updated 2010.

References

Bibliography

Paul Sandby, A View down the River Clyde from the top of Cory-Lin (1778), NMRS ref LAD 55/4, SC 866003. Thomas Johnston, Plan of the Lands of Bonnington the property of Sir John Lockhart Ross Bt (1780) NAS ref RHP 85539. Thomas Johnston(?), Plan of the Estate of Bonnington (not dated, probably late 18th or early 19th century), NAS ref RHP 85541. Statistical Account of Scotland Volume 1 (1795), p22. Drawings by Alexander Archer, 1837 NMRS ref LAD 71/1. 1st edition Ordnance Survey Map, 1857 (shows the original approach from E). W A Cowan, History of Lanark and Guide to the Surrounding Scenery (1867). Miles Glendinning, Ranald MacInnes, Aonghus MacKechnie A History of Scottish Architecture (1997) p130.

About Listed Buildings

Listing is the way that a building or structure of special architectural or historic interest is recognised by law through the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest using the criteria published in the Historic Environment Scotland Policy Statement.

The statutory listing address is the legal part of the listing. The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The planning authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historicenvironment.scot. Since 1 October 2015 we have been able to exclude items from a listing. If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.

If you want to alter, extend or demolish a listed building you need to contact your planning authority to see if you need listed building consent. The planning authority is the main point of contact for all applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot. You can contact us on 0131 668 8716 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to CORRA LINN, BONNINGTON PAVILION

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 19/11/2018 01:29