Circa 1780. Various components of designed landscape to N and W of house, now in poor condition.
WALLED GARDEN: immediately to W of house, to N of stables, roughly trapezoid in plan, open to 1 side, compartmented, probably incorporating earlier rubble stone boundary walls to W. Brick walls rising to circa 12" at highest point, ashlar coped and curved sown to sides. Ashlar dressings to pedestrian gateways. Evidence of former heating ducts and greenhouse provision.
WALLED FLOWER GARDEN: brick lined walls circa 12" high, swept down at intervals, on depressed arch line to NW and closed by straight wall to SE with gablet stone coping; segmental headed recesses to interior (some brick blocked);
FRUIT STORE: in E corner of walled flower garden; rectangular-plan, classical. Ashlar and Coade stone (?). Broad architraved opening with voussoirs; cornice.
TEA HOUSE: remains of rectangular-plan classical tea house to N of planned landscape. Stugged ashlar. Lugged architraved to entrance.
ICE HOUSE: subterranean ice house in walled flower garden to E. Droved ashlar opening above ground with mould behind; ashlar coping to wallhead. Interior not seen (1994).
TERRACE WALK: raised walkway on battered brick terrace retaining wall running SW-NE to N of house. Formerly with bridge to NE end joined to ha-ha wall, allowing access to woodland behind.
Statement of Special Interest
Presumably part of the pleasure grounds laid out by Lord Hailes from 1780. See separate listings for Shell Grotto, Dovecot, Earl of Stair Monument, Gardener's Cottage, Gatepiers, Gates, Policy Wall, Railings and Quadrants. The House and Stables are also listed separately.