Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

ROSSLYN, COLLEGEHILL HOUSE, FORMERLY THE OLD INN, INCLUDING BOUNDARY WALLS AND GATEWAYLB13029

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
22/01/1971
Supplementary Information Updated
07/03/2017
Local Authority
Midlothian
Planning Authority
Midlothian
Parish
Lasswade
NGR
NT 27439 63101
Coordinates
327439, 663101

Description

Dated 1660 with later alterations and additions. 2 storey, 3-bay traditional L-plan house with flat-roofed square-plan porch to re-entrant angle at rear. Sandstone rubble with harled wing to W; rough stone margins to windows and raised cills to harled block; date inset over lintel. N (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: asymmetrical, 4-bay, grouped 1-3 with outer left bay harled. 3-bay group to right: deep-set timber door with 3-light narrow rectangular fanlight above at ground in bay to centre; inscribed plaque (later) to right of door; non-aligned window at 1st floor above. Window at each floor in each bay flanking. Harled bay to outer left: boarded door with letterbox fanlight above, centred at ground; window at 1st floor above. S (REAR) ELEVATION: 2-bay with gabled bay advanced to outer left and square-plan porch to angle. 2-bay group to right: window in each bay at ground; window at 1st floor, centred between bays above. Part-glazed and boarded door to S of added porch. Gabled bay to outer left: window at ground offset to right; gablehead window offset to right above; gablehead stack. W (SIDE) ELEVATION: near symmetrical, 3-bay. Boarded door at ground in bay to centre with small window flanking to right; window at 1st floor above; gablehead stack above. Window at each floor in bays flanking. 12-pane timber sash and case windows; 6-pane timber sash and case window to gablehead; red pantiled roof with grey slate easing course; harled coped stacks to E and W gableheads; stack offset to left to roof; ashalr skews; cast-iron rainwater goods. INTERIOR: not seen, 1996. BOUNDARY WALL AND GATEWAY: pointed-arched pedestrian gateway adjoining house to E. High rubble boundary walls.

Statement of Special Interest

The house, now a private dwelling, was until 1866 the local inn which played host to the many tourists that came to see the chapel, the innkeeper being the custodian of the chapel. The windows, reglazed in the 18th century, bear the names of some of the more famous visitors to the chapel such as Johnson, Boswell, Robert Burns, the Wordsworths and also Prince Edward (later Edward VII). McWilliam comments on the staircase, inside, whose cut out balusters are probably early 18th century.

References

Bibliography

Appears on 1st edition OS map, 1854.

McWilliam, C. (1978) The buildings of Scotland: Lothian (except Edinburgh). London: Penguin Books. P418

Old, M. (1981) Roslin Church centenary: in retrospect 1881-1981: a short history to celebrate the centenary of Roslin Church. (Pamphlet)

Thomas, J. (1995) Midlothian: an illustrated architectural guide. Edinburgh: RIAS. P60

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to ROSSLYN, COLLEGEHILL HOUSE, FORMERLY THE OLD INN, INCLUDING BOUNDARY WALLS AND GATEWAY

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 26/05/2022 16:09