Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.


Status: Designated


There are no additional online documents for this record.


Date Added
Local Authority
Planning Authority
NT 27732 63217
327732, 663217


Late 18th century with later alterations and additions. Quadrangular classical former stable block. Single storey 4-bay ranges to SW and NW (single storey, pitched range, formerly farrier's shed, to NE) with 2-storey, single bay pavilions with tall Diocletian windows at S, W and N angles. Squared sandstone rubble with polished and droved ashlar dressings (brick to parts of NE addition). Base course; band course between ground and 1st floor to pavilions; eaves course; raised margins to openings; channelled quoins.

SW (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: 6-bay, grouped 1-4-1, facing out of courtyard. Architraved doorway in bay to centre; modern, part-glazed door with fanlight. Single window in 2 bays to right of centre. Tripartite windows at ground in pavilion to outer right; Diocletian window at 1st floor above. Modern 3-light window, set wide, in bay to left of centre. Tripartite window at ground in pavilion bay to left; Diocletian window (blinded to sides) with dormer window breaking eaves to centre above. REAR ELEVATION: 3 bay, with modern entrance porch to each re-entrant angle with 2-bay pavilion to extremities. Modern timber door with flanking window to left in bay to centre. Window in each flanking bay. Flat roofed brick addition projecting NE at right angles from ground of pavilion to left; window in each bay at 1st floor above. Single bay projection at right angles from ground of pavilion to right; window at 1st floor in bay to left of centre of pavilion.

NW (COURTYARD ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: 4-bay with central entrance gap, facing out of courtyard; terminal gabled walls to either side of courtyard entrance. (Pavilion to N angle of courtyard, with single storey flanking projections forming a separate dwelling.) Window, with small flanking window, in bays to left and right. Tripartite windows at ground in pavilions; Diocletian windows (sides blinded) at 1st floor above.

NE (REAR) RANGE: outward-facing elevation: single storey, 2-bay rear of former farrier's shed, with window to each bay; single storey, single bay linking wall to 2 storey pavilion with (boarded) door set to left. Inward-facing elevation: divided roughly in half; brick garage addition to right of centre; open sided double pitch (former farrier's) shed to left of centre.

NE ELEVATION: 2-storey, 2-bay pavilion (formerly cart shed) with single storey lean to addition to right and single storey wall with, exit gap, to E angle. Outward-facing elevation: 2 segmental (bricked) arches to ground with dormer window, breaking eaves, above; wallhead stack offset to right between. Inward-facing elevation: modern, part-glazed door with fanlight to re-entrant angle; segmental arch (now half blocked as garage door) at ground to pavilion; window at 1st floor above; boarded door to lean-to addition to right.

Variety of glazing patterns; Stone mullions to tripartites and to Diocletian windows; 12- and 2-pane timber sash and case and casement windows with top hoppers. Grey slate roof; pyramidal roofs to pavilions; corrugated iron flat roof to garage addition; corrugated- iron canopy to double pitch farrier's shed; slate to lean-to cart shed addition; rendered coped stack to ridge of SW range; ashlar coped gablehead stacks to walls of courtyard entrance; ashlar coped stack to N pavilion; rendered coped stack to W pavilion; ashlar skews; cast-iron rainwater goods.

BOUNDARY WALL: sandstone rubble with flat ashlar cope.

Statement of Special Interest

The quadrangle consisted of a stable range to the SW, a farrier's shed to SE and a cart shed with hay loft above to NW angle, and was part of the to Rosebank House estate, built for the Dowager Countess of Rosslyn, in the valley below. Rosebank House was demolished circa 1950 and the stable block has now been converted to two dwellings, one taking up the stable block range, the other the cart shed and hay loft.



Appears on 1st edition OS map, 1854; Groome, ORDNANCE GAZETTEER OF SCOTLAND (1892) p473 (Rosebank House mentioned); M Old, ROSLIN CHURCH CENTENARY IN RETROSPECT, 1881-1981, (pamphlet) (Rosebank House, demolished circa 1950, is mentioned); J Thomas, MIDLOTHIAN RIAS GUIDE (1995) p60.

About Listed Buildings

Listing is the way that a building or structure of special architectural or historic interest is recognised by law through the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest using the criteria published in the Historic Environment Scotland Policy Statement.

The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing and if a number or name is missing from a listing address it may still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing can also cover structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The planning authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. Since 1 October 2015 we have been able to exclude items from a listing. If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.

If you want to alter, extend or demolish a listed building you need to contact your planning authority to see if you need listed building consent. The planning authority advises on the need for listed building consent and they also decide what a listing covers. The planning authority is the main point of contact for all applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at You can contact us on 0131 668 8716 or at


There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to ROSLIN, ROSEBANK COTTAGE (FORMERLY STABLES) AND BOUNDARY WALL

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 21/03/2019 07:41