Listed Building

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site only. All other information in the record is not statutory.

MIDFIELD HOUSE, LASSWADE, INCLUDING BOUNDARY WALL TO GARDENLB13022

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
22/01/1971
Local Authority
Midlothian
Planning Authority
Midlothian
Parish
Lasswade
NGR
NT 29243 64020
Coordinates
329243, 664020

Description

Originally 18th century, reconstructed 1914-1918 by Sir Robert Lorimer. 2-storey with attic above concealed basement, 6-bay classical, L-plan Georgian house with bridging mezzanine bay set back providing access to irregular single storey service wing with attic stretching back to SE, fronted by curved gabled bay. Stugged and snecked sandstone; slightly raised droved margins to openings stugged long and short surrounds; eaves course; stone parapet with evenly disposed urn finials; strip pilaster quoins; ashlar coped garden wall to SW with arched opening to left of centre. Single storey service wing to NE.

NW (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: bays irregularly disposed, 1 2 1 1 1. Window at basement level in bay to centre; window at ground; window at 1st floor; dormer window to attic above. Timber panelled door at basement level between bay to centre and double bay to left of centre. Window at ground in bay to left of centre; window at ground; window at 1st floor; dormer window above. Window at ground in penultimate bay to left; window at 1st floor; dormer window above. Window at basement level in bay between penultimate and outer bay to left. Window at ground in bay to outer left; window at 1st floor above. Window to bridging mezzanine. Advanced, flat-roofed, single storey projection to bay to extreme left with 2 windows, closely spaced; window at 1st floor above with Dutch gable above. Window at ground in bay to right of centre; window at 1st floor; dormer window above. Raised Gibbsian doorpiece in bay to outer right; 2-leaf timber panelled door; window at 1st floor; non-aligned dormer window above.

SE (GARDEN) ELEVATION: angle of L; 7-bay, grouped 3-3-1 with 4-bay return wall providing short arm of L. 3-bay group to centre; triple arched loggia with Ionic columns at ground; lunette window to each bay set behind. Niche with a statue of Flora in bay to centre at 1st floor above; window in each bay flanking. Single bay to outer right: window at each floor set to right of centre. 4-bay return wall: round headed arch at ground (originally open with door set back within) in bay to outer right; window at 1st floor above. Window at each floor in remaining 3 bays. Slightly advanced 3-bay block to left of centre: 3-light canted bay with French windows to centre at ground spanning

3 bays; window in each bay at 1st floor above.

SW (SIDE) ELEVATION: 5 bays, irregularly disposed. Full-height, semi- circular 3-light bay to right of centre; dormer window above. Window at ground in bay to outer right; window at 1st floor; dormer window above. Window at ground in bay to left of centre; window at 1st floor; dormer window above. 2-bay block to outer left, slightly recessed: window at ground in penultimate bay to left. Window at ground in bay to outer left; window at 1st floor; non-aligned dormer window above.

SERVICE WING: SW ELEVATION: irregular 4 bay (facing main house). Architraved door surround in bay to right of centre. Dormer window at attic level in bay to outer right. Window at ground with dormer window above in bays to left of centre. Irregular and part-harled, 13-bay elevation to (NE) rear.

12-, 15-, 16- and 24-pane timber sash and case windows; grey slate, piended platform roof; platform-roofed dormers; slate to additional wing; 4 evenly disposed ashlar coped stacks to NW; further ashlar coped stacks to SE and SW; cast-iron rainwater goods.

GARDEN WALL: squared sandstone rubble with flat ashlar cope.

Statement of Special Interest

Re-built by Sir Robert Lorimer, 1914-1918, after a fire, for James Hood, a local coal magnate. Having left the plain original 18th century entrance front, Lorimer concentrated on the garden elevation, adding a canted boudoir bay, a loggia, and a dining room extension. The statue of Flora above the loggia is by Louis Deuchars who often worked with Lorimer. The open passage which now exists between the service wing and the main house was intended to be covered by a glass roof. Since 1985, the interior of the house as well as the service wing, has been flatted, but both Hussey and Savage provide good plates for reference. After the fire, the interior was refitted with woodwork by Scott Morton & Co. Shallow relief ornamental plasterwork reflects detail to be found outside, for example the basket of flowers terminating the bedroom passage.

References

Bibliography

Appears on 1st edition (1854) OS map and subsequent 1894 map. P Savage, THE WORK OF SIR ROBERT LORIMER (1931) pp53-54 (plans and interiors);

C McWilliam, LOTHIAN (1978) p326; P Savage, LORIMER AND THE EDINBURGH CRAFT DESIGNERS (1980) p117 (plans and interiors); J Thomas, MIDLOTHIAN RIAS GUIDE (1995) p41.

About Listed Buildings

Listing is the way that a building or structure of special architectural or historic interest is recognised by law through the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest using the criteria published in the Historic Environment Scotland Policy Statement.

The statutory listing address is the legal part of the listing. The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The planning authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historicenvironment.scot. Since 1 October 2015 we have been able to exclude items from a listing. If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.

If you want to alter, extend or demolish a listed building you need to contact your planning authority to see if you need listed building consent. The planning authority is the main point of contact for all applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot. You can contact us on 0131 668 8716 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to MIDFIELD HOUSE, LASSWADE, INCLUDING BOUNDARY WALL TO GARDEN

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 20/11/2018 21:53