Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.


Status: Designated


There are no additional online documents for this record.


Date Added
Local Authority
Scottish Borders
Planning Authority
Scottish Borders
NT 64541 43284
364541, 643284


1803 incorporating some earlier fabric. 2-storey and attic, 3-bay, U-plan, Classical manse with gabled roof and canted dormers. Lower piend-roofed service wing to NW and single storey modern wing to NE. Harled and washed masonry with droved sandstone ashlar dressings (mostly painted). Eaves course Tabbed quoins; regular fenestration to front with raised window margins. 2 steps to 9-panelled recessed timber door in simple architrave with Doric pilasters and cornice with small triglyphs. Fanlight with decorative glazing pattern.

Predominantly 12- and 9-pane glazing in timber sash and case windows. Gablehead ashlar-coped stacks and wallhead ashlar-coped brick stack on rear elevation; octagonal yellow clay cans. Welsh slate roofs; zinc ridges.

INTERIOR: simple Classical detailing with some Edwardian alterations. 6-panelled doors and simple cornices throughout. Cantilevered timber staircase with Edwardian timber balusters and rail, rising in front of central rear window. Dining room with original black marble chimneypiece and segmental-arched buffet niche with flanking Doric pilasters. Drawing room with Greek key-patterned dado rail. Large stone chimneypiece in kitchen. Timber chimneypieces with tiled inserts at first floor (probably Edwardian); those on second floor original .

WALLED GARDEN: rubble walls with rounded rubble cope and timber boarded entrance gate at SE corner.

Statement of Special Interest

A good, largely unaltered early 19th century manse with simple Classical detailing. A church was in existence in Gordon from before the 12th century as in 1171 it was transferred by the monks of Coldingham to those of Kelso. The present parish church dates from 1763. The present manse is a replacement for an earlier building on the same site, remnants of which are still apparent in the cellar and back hall. Two pathways, older than the existing buiding, the Monks Walk on the North side of the manse and the Ladies' Walk on the South connect the manse to the church across the glebe lands through a gate in the churchyard wall and directly into the churchyard.

Early maps indicate that by 1863 the manse was L-shaped, the NW rear wing being original or an early addition. The NE wing was added before 1908. Maps also seem to indicate that the walled garden had been constructed by 1826.



T Sharp, Christopher Greenwood and William Fowler, The County of Berwick (1826). William Crawford and William Brooke, Map Embracing Extensive portions of the Counties of Roxburgh, Berwick Selkirk & Midlothian and Part of Northumberland (1843). New Statistical Account of Scotland (volume II, Berwickshire 1834), p37. 1st edition Ordnance Survey Map (circa 1863). 2nd Edition Ordnance Survey map (circa 1908-09). Kitty Cruft, John Dunbar, Richard Fawcett, Buildings of Scotland, Borders (2006), p334.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at


There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to MANSE ROAD, THE OLD MANSE AND WALLED GARDEN

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 07/06/2020 01:41