Listed Building

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site only. All other information in the record is not statutory.

BARONALD (CARTLAND BRIDGE HOTEL)LB12967

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
A
Date Added
05/03/1992
Local Authority
South Lanarkshire
Planning Authority
South Lanarkshire
Parish
Lanark
NGR
NS 87348 44615
Coordinates
287348, 644615

Description

1890-91, Sir John James Burnet of Burnet Son and Campbell. Large Scotish Baronial mansion built into falling site; picturesque asymmetrical composition of linked tower house-like blocks of differing heights; 3-storey with dormerheads on entrance (SW) front; 4-storey with dormerheads/4-storey and attic on garden (NE) front; snecked rubble of local brown sandstone with buff ashlar dressings moulded and chamfered openings, some (on principle SW elevation) with blind boxes; crowstepped gables with big stacks of telescopic profile.

ENTRANCE FRONT: L-plan frontage with large original conservatory filling the re-entrant angle. Advanced NW block on left, 2 bays, with circular conical-roofed angle tourelle to left, mezzanine service level over ground floor, and projecting crowstepped gabled porch built asymmetrically into semi-circular base of canted first floor oriel of right-hand bay. Porch with rounded angles corbelled to square, architraved doorpiece surmounted by finely sculptured armorial panel with ogival pediment, circular windows in checks, corbel course stepped over door; left hand bay has single light architraved openings; semi-circular pedimented dormer heads over both bays; angle tourelle rises from square outshot with balustraded parapet and ball finial. Gabled return elevation over conservatory has corbel course stepped up into arch over 1st floor windows. Central 3-window bay linking NW and SE blocks incorporating main stair, 3-light swept dormer above, gable of SE block to right, lower part screened by conservatory with canted front between square sculptured piers.

SE ELEVATION; 3 windows at basement level, 2 transomed windows and a small pedimented window at 1st floor, boldly corbelled canted oriel at 1st floor and 2-light pedimented dormer above, circular corner tourelle to right rises from polygonal base with fine armorial at basement; returns into

NE GARDEN FRONT: massive stack cutting into conical roof of corner tourelle to left, 3-bays centre, near identical with transomed ground floor windows, corbel course over second floor windows, alternatively semi-circular and triangular headed dormers, keyblocked architraved garden door wwith armorial panel over at left-hand bay of basement; basement openings cut into deep battered base with set-off; NE gable of NW block to right, deeper battered base with set-off divided by shallow buttress of first floor oriel, 3 transomed windows at ground floor, central window cut into buttress, rounded angles corbelled to square below second floor level; 1st floor oriel canted with elaborate Jacobethan aedicule, parapet integrated with corbel course continuous with that of bays to left; 2-light 2nd floor window and pedimented attic window above; returns into NW ELEVATION: asymmetrical single bay with corbel course to left, narrow advanced gable bay to right, with canted bay rising to 1st floor level, mullioned and transomed window at 1st floor, central light blind with cartouche panel at 1st, 2-light window recessed over at 2nd, and small attic window above; blind corbelled feature in re-entrant angle at ground floor level. Right-hand section comprises gable for NW block, overlaid by modern hotel addition at lower levels.

INTERIOR: porch leads to inner vestibule with shallow stair to ground floor level, outer screen of octagonal timber columns with very original capitals and inner glazed screen of etched glass to large stair hall, dog leg stair with turned baluster returns through arcade of 2 unequal arches, one circular, one semi-elliptical, on elaborate baluster newel colulmn into first floor landing, other newels have grotesque heads and circular finials. Stone chimneypiece in hall with dwarf columns and Celtic interlacing frieze panels, boldly projecting carved timber mantle shelf above. Cills of stair windows stepped with rake of stair, elaborately coloured, gilded and monogrammed cartouche transom panels and clear, decorative leaded glass-work. Lower walls wainscotted, flat ceiling compartmentalised by ribs with circular bosses at intersections and circular central panel; at 1st floor landing consoled shelf and segmentally arched mirror with carved oak frame inlaid with finely painted ceramic circular panels, perhaps brought from Farme Castle, Rutherglen.

Smaller stair hall partly over top flight and partly beyond continues to upper floors.

ROOM IN NW BLOCK (former Dining Room now Restaurant): wainscotted dado following curvilinear line at chimneypiece and windows; elaborate Renaissance chimneypiece with consoles, conves shelf with low relief strapwork carving, black marble inset and original red tile grate with copper canopy; timber beamed ceiling, clear decorative leaded glass at oriel.

ROOM IN SE BLOCK (former Drawing Room, now lounge bar): geometrically ribbed plaster ceiling, gilt, Jacobethan strapwork in arched tympana over doors, greenish clear leaded glass over transoms and at small window on SE front, wainscot with curvilinear tops at window reveals.

FORMER MORNING ROOM (now private room): white and gold wainscot, white marble chimneypiece set in timber bead and reel architrave with swagged frieze, original coloured tilework and brass canopy.

FIRST FLOOR: several bedrooms have notable chimneypieces, one to N with elaborate overmantel cabinet, central part with leaded glass, original grate and tilework.

Statement of Special Interest

Built for Allan Farie of Farme, Rutherglen, the largest house Burnet built anew.

Family portraits hang in the Dining Room, of James Farie of Farme (1712-1803); James Farie of Farme (1800-1876); Allan Scott Farie (1801-1823) and A J Crawford Farie.

References

Bibliography

THE BRITISH ARCHITECT, 30 January and 6 February 1891 illustrated in 3 perspectives and plan by T Raffles Davidson, which had been exhibited in the RSA Exhibition in 1891, and previously at the International Fine Art Exhibition in Munich of 1890.

A Service, EDWARDIAN ARCHITECTURE AND ITS ORIGINS, 1975, p199.

About Listed Buildings

Listing is the way that a building or structure of special architectural or historic interest is recognised by law through the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest using the criteria published in the Historic Environment Scotland Policy Statement.

The statutory listing address is the legal part of the listing. The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The planning authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historicenvironment.scot. Since 1 October 2015 we have been able to exclude items from a listing. If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.

If you want to alter, extend or demolish a listed building you need to contact your planning authority to see if you need listed building consent. The planning authority is the main point of contact for all applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot. You can contact us on 0131 668 8716 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to BARONALD (CARTLAND BRIDGE HOTEL)

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 21/11/2018 00:39