Listed Building

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site only. All other information in the record is not statutory.

LETHANGIE HOUSE WITH GARDEN WALLS AND GAZEBO TO WEST, AND SUMMERHOUSE TO EASTLB12961

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
04/03/1992
Local Authority
Perth And Kinross
Planning Authority
Perth And Kinross
Parish
Kinross
NGR
NO 12403 3881
Coordinates
312403, 703881

Description

Complex building sequence. original T-plan farmhouse of early 19th century date. SW wing added circa 1860's; later substantially remodelled with 3 periods of alteration and additions by William Kerr of Alloa, in 1911, 1923 and following a fire in 1935.

ORIGINAL HOUSE: 2-storey, 3-bay late Georgian (early 19th century) farmhuse, harled with raised long and short ashalr quoins, central door with projecting canopy, regular fenestration, except bipartite to right at ground floor contained within projecting ashlar architrave with cornice and bloxking course; 2 blind heraldic shields set between 1st floor windows; plate glass sash and case glazing in 1860's altered to 12-pane during early 20th century remodelling; single ground floor windows to E gable and 1st floor windows have 2-leaf louvered shutters (there by 1860's); slated roof with 3 regularly spaced flat-roofed 3-light multi-paned dormer windows of early 20th century date in slope of roof.; ashlar end stacks and skews; 2-storey rear wing with conical roofed bartizan turret attached to N (left) and W elevation ( now NW re-entrant angle) containing circular zinc-lined bath (still extant); gable end of rear wing facing N, with Roman Doric columned entrance central at 1st floor approached by flight of steps.

SW WING: circa 1860-70, remodelled circa 1910-20. 2-storey; stugged and and snecked rubble, steep pitched slated roof, originally with lucarnes (now lost, but shown in photograph of circa 1920, before fire of 1935), conical over bow-fronted 3-light bay which projects at front (S) elevation; return (W) elevation has single light to left at 1st floor, blind at ground, and broad projecting chimneybreast with curved angles to right containing pair of small windows (stained glass at ground) and 1st floors, chimneybreast rising above wallhead with gable and tall stack over; multi-paned (15 pane at ground, 20 at 1st floor) glazing pattern of circa 1910-20 date. W flank of original house recessed to left.

REAR (NW) WING: William Kerr addition of ?1911, linked to NW corner of original house. 2-storey, harled with slated piend roof. 3 bays to S, rectangular bay projecting to left with opening with 2 widely spaced Doric columns in antis supporting ashlar lintel at gorund floor, 6-light window to 1st, single lights at ground and 1st floors to centre, slightly advnaced gabled bay to right, with tall arched 1st floor window.

E WING: William Kerr addition, ?1923. 2-storey, pitched roof, with 3-storey piend-roofed tower. 5 asymmetrical bays; harled with multi-paned sash and case glazing. 2 3-light full-height canted bay windows projecting on E elevation. Pair octagonal GATEPIERS at NE corner of earlier, early 19th century date.

INTERIOR: original house remodelled by William Kerr circa 1910-20's. HALL: full-height white painted timber wainscot and arcaded timber screen, with 2 broad segmental keyblocked arches in front of principal stair. Staircase with fields of open latticework between finely turned bulusters.

DINING ROOM: (with bowed front in SW wing) has stained glass roundels depicting Lords Darnley and Ruthven to W in inglenook recess; drawing roo m over at 1st floor.

GARDEN WALLS AND GAZEBO: probably 17th century, rebuilt early 19th century. Red sandstone rubble walls with ashlar quoins and cope enclosing garden on N and W to W of house, terminated at SW by square-plan GAZEBO; early 19th century, incorporating relocated 1691 datestone. 2-stage, string course between stages, small rectangular light with stepped hood-moulds over in 3 elevations, larger opening , with boarded door to N; heraldic shield and date panel to W; frieze, cornice and steep pitched slated pyramidal roof with ball finial at apex. Diminutive arched door in wall close to house. Pair dwarf Doric columns at gazebo relocated in that position.

SUMMER HOUSE: to SE of house. ?early 19th century; small circular rustic summer house with rustic tree-trunk columns with heather thatched screen walls, conical roof with fish-scale slates, leaded flashing at apex. Coloured leaded glass to triangular headed windows; polygonal plan intrior lined with twigs laid in geometrical patterns, timber bench.

Statement of Special Interest

Acquired by James Paton (owner of the once most productive textile mill in Scotland, J & D Patons Mill, Tillicoultry) circa 1850's and remodelled as a second holiday home, the other being Westbourne, Tillicoultry.

References

Bibliography

Alexander Edward's plan of the estate of Kinross House, (some buildings at Lethangie marked, and dovecote named), 1685-85.

Ordnance Survey 1st edition map and OS namebooks, 1853-56 (NMRS); OS map 1963.

Additional information from Adam Swan and Mrs Paton (present owner, 1991) who has photographs of the house of various dates, including a view of the original farmhouse.

About Listed Buildings

Listing is the way that a building or structure of special architectural or historic interest is recognised by law through the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest using the criteria published in the Historic Environment Scotland Policy Statement.

The statutory listing address is the legal part of the listing. The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The planning authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historicenvironment.scot. Since 1 October 2015 we have been able to exclude items from a listing. If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.

If you want to alter, extend or demolish a listed building you need to contact your planning authority to see if you need listed building consent. The planning authority is the main point of contact for all applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot. You can contact us on 0131 668 8716 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to LETHANGIE HOUSE WITH GARDEN WALLS AND GAZEBO TO WEST, AND SUMMERHOUSE TO EAST

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 21/11/2018 07:57