Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.


Status: Designated


There are no additional online documents for this record.


Date Added
Local Authority
Planning Authority
NT 31854 67089
331854, 667089


Late 18th century with later alterations and additions. 2-storey, 3-bay symmetrical farmhouse with lower 2-storey, 3-bay kitchen addition set back to right, built on a raised terrace. Gable-ended range of

3 single-storey cottages with 2 similar cottages, formerly stables, extending to E. Ruined mill complex by riverbank to S with ruined auxiliary building to E. Squared cream sandstone rubble with droved ashlar margins to openings; droved quoins.

S (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: 6-bay, grouped 3-3. Symmetrical, 3 bay group to left: architraved doorpiece with timber-panelled door and fanlight at ground in bay to centre; window at 1st floor above. Window at each floor in bays flanking; modern door with small-pane glazing set to left and window set to right at ground in gabled W end; gablehead stack above. Irregular 3-bay addition to right: window at each floor in bay to centre. Part-glazed modern door at ground in bay to left; window at each floor in bay to outer right; modern door set to left at ground in gabled E end; gablehead stack above.

N (REAR) ELEVATION: irregular 5-bay, grouped 2-3. 3-bay group to right: stair window in bay to centre. Window at each floor in bay to outer right. Part-glazed door at ground in bay to left; window at 1st floor above. 2-bay group to left: window at ground in bay to right. Window at each floor in bay to outer left.

12-, 9- and 6-pane timber sash and case windows; grey slate roof; ashlar coped stacks to each gabled end of original house and to E end of addition; coped skews; cast-iron rainwater goods.

COTTAGES: 3 3-bay cottages with a 2-bay and a 3-bay cottage (formerly stables, now used as stores) at E end of range. Cottage to W end: central boarded door with 2 flanking windows; window and stack to gabled end. Cottage to centre: boarded door with 2 flanking windows. Cottage to E: Window to centre with 2 flanking boarded doors (small window to right of right hand door). 1st stable: 2-leaf boarded door with 2 flanking windows. Stable to E extremity of range: window with

2 flanking boarded doors.

5 ashlar coped stacks, fairly evenly disposed along range; grey slate roof to cottages; red pantiles to stables; coped skews; red clay centre skew to stables; cast-iron rainwater goods.

Statement of Special Interest

The estate plans show a large mill complex with a horsemill on this site; a ruinous structure beside the river to the S of the house along with another, smaller, ruined structure to the E, appear to be all that remains. According to the 1st edition OS map, Elginhaugh Mill is cited as a corn mill, and would have been one of the two in Lasswade mentioned in the New Statistical Accounts. The farmhouse and cottages are in good condition, and the ruined mill acts as a picturesque curiosity in the garden.



RHP 2095, Surveyor: J Wilson (1790); RHP 10598/1, Surveyor: R Drysdale (1810); RHP 10599, Surveyor: J Hay (1831); Estate Plans of Melville Castle; NSA (1843) p333 (noted that there are two corn mills in the parish); appears on 1st edition OS map, 1854 and on subsequent OS map, 1894.

About Listed Buildings

Listing is the way that a building or structure of special architectural or historic interest is recognised by law through the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest using the criteria published in the Historic Environment Scotland Policy Statement.

The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing and if a number or name is missing from a listing address it may still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing can also cover structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The planning authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. Since 1 October 2015 we have been able to exclude items from a listing. If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.

If you want to alter, extend or demolish a listed building you need to contact your planning authority to see if you need listed building consent. The planning authority advises on the need for listed building consent and they also decide what a listing covers. The planning authority is the main point of contact for all applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at You can contact us on 0131 668 8716 or at


There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to ELGINHAUGH FARMHOUSE AND COTTAGES

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 19/04/2019 13:26