Listed Building

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site only. All other information in the record is not statutory.

MELVILLE CASTLE, ESK COTTAGE WITH SAWMILL AND COTTAGELB12937

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
15/02/1991
Local Authority
Midlothian
Planning Authority
Midlothian
Parish
Lasswade
NGR
NT 30727 66765
Coordinates
330727, 666765

Description

Late 18th to early 19th century with later alterations and additions.

2 storey with attic, 3-bay rectangular-plan cottage ('Esk Cottage') with single storey wing to SE; detached, single storey over basement sawmill range at right angles to (NE) rear; free-standing single storey, 3-bay cottage closing third side of courtyard. Cream sandstone rubble with stugged sandstone tails to openings; rear of single storey wing harled; long and short quoins.

ESK COTTAGE: SW (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: 5-bay, grouped 3-2, (entrance faces out of courtyard). Timber panelled door (replaced) with geometric fanlight above at ground in bay to centre of main 3-bay block; window at 1st floor; dormer window above. Window, including dormer window, at each floor in bays flanking. Window in each bay to single storey block to outer right; small dormer window set between above; modern glazed door to left-hand side of right return.

NE (REAR) ELEVATION: window at each floor in each bay of main block; large bowed piended dormer window to centre of attic. Asymmetrical, single storey, 3-bay wing: modern glazed door with fanlight offset to right of centre with window to right; window in bay to left; small dormer to centre of attic.

NW ELEVATION: 2-storey, 2-bay gablehead elevation. Modern glazed door at ground in bay to right; window at 1st floor; oculus window to gablehead above. Window at each floor including oculus to gablehead above, in bay to left. Gablehead stack to centre above.

SAWMILL RANGE: Single storey, 6-bay with lower, lean-to additions to each end. 4 boarded doors with strip fanlights to right and 2 large windows to left of range facing courtyard. Window to lean-to block to SW end; boarded door to lean-to block to NE end. Gablehead stacks to each end above. Windows (some blinded) and basement doors to out-facing range.

SAWMILL INTERIOR: sawmill in basement, partially open through 2 floors; brick vault supporting ground floor platform at NE end.

COTTAGE: NE (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: faces out of courtyard. Single storey, 3-bay with lower addition, set back to left. Timber panelled door with strip fanlight in offset bay to right of centre. Window to each bay flanking.

SW (REAR) ELEVATION: Faces courtyard. Single window, unevenly disposed to each bay of main block. Part-glazed door to addition to right;

3 windows to right return of addition.

12-pane timber sash and case windows to Esk Cottage; fixed 16-pane windows to sawmill; variety of glazing patterns to cottage, including 12- and 16-pane timber sash and case; grey slate roof with piended slate dormers to Esk Cottage; corrugated asbestos roof to sawmill with modern covering to lean-to additions; slate to cottage with flat roof to addition; harled stacks to SE and NW gableheads to Esk Cottage with brick copes and dentilled cornice details; ashlar coped stacks to gableheads of sawmill; ashlar coped stacks to gableheads and one to mid of cottage; ashlar skews; cast-iron rainwater goods.

Statement of Special Interest

Established at a paper mill in 1770 as part of a much larger complex built circa 1764. It arrived at its present form by 1810, and is now converted to residential use although the sawmill is still in working order and used as such. The 1955 Statistical Accounts mention how paper had been manufactured in Lasswade village since 1750 and that Melville Mill had long been famed for the production of its hand-made paper. The cottage is probably slightly later, early 19th century, appearing on the 1810 Estate Plan along with the sawmill, built between 1790-1810. A Group with Melville Castle, Chestnut House, East Lodge, Garden Cottage, Garden Farmhouse, Walled Garden and Lodge, South Driveway Bridge, South Lodge, Walled Garden Steading, and Willie's Temple.

References

Bibliography

SRO RHP 2095, Surveyor: J Wilson (1790); RHP 10598/1. Surveyor:

R Drysdale (1810); RHP 10599, Surveyor: James Hay (1831), Estate Plans of Melville Castle; NSA (1843) p334 (noted that there are three paper mills in the parish); appears on 1st edition OS map, 1854; 3rd S A (1955) p91; J Shaw, WATER POWER IN SCOTLAND (1984) pp370-372; J Thomas, MIDLOTHIAN RIAS GUIDE (1995) p30.

About Listed Buildings

Listing is the way that a building or structure of special architectural or historic interest is recognised by law through the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest using the criteria published in the Historic Environment Scotland Policy Statement.

The statutory listing address is the legal part of the listing. The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The planning authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historicenvironment.scot. Since 1 October 2015 we have been able to exclude items from a listing. If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.

If you want to alter, extend or demolish a listed building you need to contact your planning authority to see if you need listed building consent. The planning authority is the main point of contact for all applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot. You can contact us on 0131 668 8716 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to MELVILLE CASTLE, ESK COTTAGE WITH SAWMILL AND COTTAGE

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 19/11/2018 23:51