Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.


Status: Designated


There are no additional online documents for this record.


Date Added
Local Authority
East Lothian
Planning Authority
East Lothian
NT 4590 6297
345900, 662970


Circa 1845. 2-storey, 3-bay Jacobean style house, originally L-plan but altered with large modern flat-roofed extensions at rear. |stugged, squared and snecked red sandstone rubble and ashlar margins, polished cream ashlar sandstone porch; base course and chamfered reveals.

E ELEVATION: steeply gabled porch at centre with rounded corners to doorway lintel and stone slab roof; panelled door with 4-pane fanlight. Hoodmoulded windows in flanking bays at ground; 2 narrow 1st floor windows at centre with broad gablehead breaking eaves above, blind arrow slit in gablehead; windows in flanking bays at 1st floor with steep gableheads similarly breaking eaves.

N AND S ELEVATIONS: window to each floor to W side of both elevations; slightly advanced stack with off-sets on S elevation.

W WING: projecting to W at right of near elevation; slightly lower eaves than main house. 2-bays deep, with glazing pattern in sash ans case windows. Grey slates. Gablet skews with consoled skewputts and stone apex finials. Coped stacks; original cans.

Statement of Special Interest

Built as Free Churh Manse. Style popularised by Loudoun's Cottage, Farm and Villa Architecture, 1836.



Humbie Women's Rural Institute, Gleanings of Humbie Parish (1968).

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at


There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to HAZYHILL

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 29/02/2020 14:04