Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.


Status: Designated


There are no additional online documents for this record.


Date Added
Local Authority
Planning Authority
Fowlis Easter
NO 32139 33556
332139, 733556


Earlier-mid 19th century, raises and extended 1888. Single storey, rectangular-plan school, made T-plan by addition of classroom 1 to 5, with lower cloakroom blocks in re-entrants. Original building stugged rubble; additions stugged and snecked rubble, stugged and margined quoins; slate roof. Base course to additions; sash and case windows, 4- over 6-pane to classroom tripartites, 2- over 4-pane to cleakroom singles, stugged and margined dressings with chamfered cills; deep eaves with exposed purlin and rafter ends, moulded bargeboards, kingpost and collar exposed at S gable, small ball finials with elongated pinnacles; corniced stacks. E ELEVATION: gable to right (modified original building), tripartite window; door to bay at left re-entrant; door to lean-to to far right. W ELEVATION: mirror image of E elevation.

S GABLE: gable to centre, tripartite window; single window to lower, slightly recessed flanking bays.

N GABLE: full-width lean-to, central stack rising through eaves to main wall.

INTERIOR: boarded dado; original chimneypieces.

PLAYSHED: timber playshed with corrugated pentice roof.

WC'S: small rubble-built wc block to W of playshed.

BOUNDARY WALL AND RAILINGS: rubble boundary wall to W (N boundary wall constructed 1980s), cast-iron and steel fence to E.

Statement of Special Interest

A school is mentioned in the OLD STATISTICAL ACCOUNT and is shown in its present position on the 1799 and 1861 maps. The south gable is dated 1888 above the tripartite window. The adjacent former schoolhouse is dated 1855, and a datestone (1827) is built into a modern wall to its east. The earliest part of the present building therefore is likely to date from either 1827 or 1855.



Fowlis Easter School Log Book, 23rd June 1888, DARC (no ref); OSA (1793), vol VII, p288; Plan of Roads in Dispute, Fowlis and Lundie, James Stobie, surveyor, 1799, RHP 14.2; OS map, 1861.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at


There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to FORMER SCHOOL INCLUDING PLAYSHED WCS BOUNDARY WALL AND RAILINGS

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 20/08/2019 00:11