Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

GRAEMSAY, SANDSIDE FARMHOUSE, INCLUDING STEADING AND SLIPWAYLB12892

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
16/09/1999
Supplementary Information Updated
16/09/1999
Local Authority
Orkney Islands
Planning Authority
Orkney Islands
Parish
Hoy And Graemsay
NGR
HY 26667 5954
Coordinates
326667, 1005954

Description

Early 19th century with later alterations and additions. 2-storey, 3-bay rectangular-plan symmetrical Laird's house with single storey, 4-bay wing to right (E) and single storey, single bay wing to left (W). Harled; W wing roughly coursed rubble. Eaves course; 1st floor windows set close under eaves. U-plan steading, comprising granary, byre and stables, sited to E of main house.

S (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: part-glazed timber-panelled door at ground in bay to centre; window at 1st floor above. Window at each floor in bays flanking. Boarded door, set to left in W sing.

N (REAR) ELEVATION: window in lean-to porch at ground in bay offset to left of centre; boarded door in left return. Window at each floor in 2 bays to right. Window at each floor in bay to left. Centred window in recessed W wing. 3 evenly disposed doorways in recessed E wing; window in bay to penultimate left.

W (SIDE) ELEVATION: blank wall with gablehead stack to W wing; blank wall with gablehead stack above to main block.

E (SIDE) ELEVATION: blank gabled wall to E wing; blank wall with gablehead stack above to main block.

Predominantly 8- and 12-pane timber sash and case windows; small rooflights. Stone slate roof to main block and to W wing; modern felt tiles to E wing; stone ridges; harled, corniced gablehead stacks to main block; rubble corniced gablehead stack to W wing; harled, coped ridge stack to E wing; cast-iron rainwater goods.

INTERIOR: boarded dado to lean-to kitchen at rear; timber skirting boards, architraves and panelled doors; plain pilastered and corniced fire surrounds extant; timber staircase with turned timber balusters, timber handrail and ball-finialled newel post.

STEADING:

GRANARY: 2-storey, 5-bay rectangular-plann granary with single bay lean-to addition to E end. Roughly coursed rubble. S ELEVATION: window at ground in bay to centre. Large, square-headed doorway to right. Deep-set boarded door in bay to outer right. Window at 1st floor in bay to penultimate left. Window at ground in bay to outer left. Wide square-headed entrance to lean-to bay to outer left. N (REAR) ELEVATION: window offset to right of centre at ground. Deep-set boarded grain loft door, breaking eaves in bay to right. Small window in lean-to bay to outer right. W (SIDE) ELEVATION: window at each floor below to gabled wall. E (SIDE) ELEVATION: blank wall to lean-to at ground; window (boarded) to gablehead above.

Corrugated-iron and stone tiled roof; flagstone slab roof to lean-to addition; coped skews to lean-to.

INTERIOR: timber floor division with timber stair to grain loft at 1st floor; timber-framed threshing/winnowing machine extant at ground with connecting grain feeder from loft; cast-iron sack-winding machinery above rectangular opening in floor; exposed rafters and tie beams.

BYRE: rectangular-plan byre with derelict store/byre range abutting at right angles, extending to W. Roughly coursed rubble. E (SIDE) ELEVATION: blank. W (SIDE) ELEVATION: 3 evenly disposed windows, set high. S ELEVATION: blank. N (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: large, sliding door at ground; narrow light to gablehead above.

Modern felt-tiled roof.

INTERIOR: central slurry channel; concrete animal stalls along E wall; individual cast-iron water troughs; cast-iron tether poles to each stall; exposed rafters and tie-beams.

STABLES: single storey, 3-bay rectangular-plan stable range with further derelict range abutting to S. Roughly coursed rubble. W (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: boarded door in bay to centre. Window in each bay flanking.

Stone tiled roof; stone ridge.

INTERIOR: exposed rafters and tie beams; boarded stalls with shaped upper edges to N half; lower concrete water troughs to S end.

SLIPWAY: long, curved rubble slipway with longitudinally set rubble and flagstone surface, and slightly battered sides, sited to E of steading and house; diamond-set stone anchor rods set between surface flagstones.

Statement of Special Interest

A well-preserved laird's house and accompanying steading with a good, intact granary, formerly called, 'Sandisend'. The Stewart family were the Lairds of Graemsay until 1744 when the title passed to the Honymans, both families using the house as a laird's dwelling.

References

Bibliography

Appears on 1st edition OS map (1882); H Marwick, ORKNEY FARM NAMES, (1952), p 181.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to GRAEMSAY, SANDSIDE FARMHOUSE, INCLUDING STEADING AND SLIPWAY

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 25/05/2019 22:19