Mid to later 18th century, with alterations in 1792; further alterations and drawing room wing added 1828. 2-storey and attic, 3-bay former manse with single storey pavilions linked by screen walls, later addition at S forming T-plan; re-orientated with principal entrance to S in recent times. Harled, with Turriff sandstone margins.
S ELEVATION: formerly rear. 2-bay, piend-roofed wing at right angles to, and occupying central bay of earlier house. Entrance to E return; door with multi-pane strip fanlight. Window at ground to left, 2 windows at 1st floor. Window at each floor to main house. Window to each floor of S elevation of wing. Door with shallow early 20th century, piended conservatory to main house in SW re-entrant angle, window to 1st floor. Stair window to W return of wing.
N ELEVATION: formerly front. 3-bay; door to centre replaced by modern window and harled, lean-to addition, windows to outer bays. 3 windows at 1st floor. Advanced, single storey, piend-roofed pavilions to each side, linked by corridor.
PAVILIONS: E pavilion with window to each elevation. W pavilion (former carriage house) now garaging; with segmental arch to centre, door to left, modern slapping to right.
E ELEVATION: pavilions adjoining at ground; window to left at ground and 1st floor. 2 small windows to attic.
W ELEVATION: pavilion adjoining at ground, window to right, Small window to attic.
Sash and case windows with 12-pane glazing pattern. Grey slates, ashlar coped skews, bracketed skewputts; SE skewputt dated 1796. Coped ashlar stacks with thackstanes.
OUTBUILDINGS: single storey gabled outbuildings in garden to N; former barn, byre and stables (see notes). Rubble with sandstone dressings.
WALLED GARDEN: to E; approx m x m; random rubble with ashlar coping.
Statement of Special Interest
Rev Robert Ballingall describes his Manse as "built in 1683. The present incumbent has had his barn, kiln, stable, and byre renewed; and is getting the wings (pavilions) of the manse repaired, with the addition of a kitchen and childrens' room in one of them, the house being small." (OSA p536). There is little evidence in the present fabric of the 17th century origin. Forglen Church of 1692, sited to the S, is now ruinous. The walls remain, enclosed within the churchyard, listed separately. A new church was built in 1806,
on higher ground to the NE; now converted to residential use, and no longer listed.