Listed Building

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site only. All other information in the record is not statutory.

INVERGOWRIE, MAIN STREET, ALL SOULS' EPISCOPAL CHURCH, INCLUDING GATEPIERS AND BOUNDARY WALLSLB12849

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
A
Date Added
05/10/1971
Supplementary Information Updated
25/02/1993
Local Authority
Perth And Kinross
Planning Authority
Perth And Kinross
Parish
Longforgan
NGR
NO 34603 30359
Coordinates
334603, 730359

Description

Hippolyte J Blanc, 1891; font and pulpit executed by Carnegie and Son, Dundee under the superintendence of James Hutton, 1896. Cruciform-plan, early English Gothic church with aisles, semi-octagonal apse, tower and spire at crossing; hall adjoining to SE. Bull-faced red sandstone, ashlar dressings, grey green slate roof, terracotta ridge tiles. Cill course, chamfered corbel course to roofspace, gabletted angle buttresses and coped skews to ecclesiastical W end and transepts; chamfered wallhead course; lancet windows with hoodmoulds and foliate label stops to aisles, Y-traceried windows with hoodmoulds and block label stops to clerestorey. 2-stage tower; louvred belfry opening at upper part to all elevations, flanked by 2 blind panels; angle waterspouts, ashlar parapet; panelled octagonal angle pinnacles with crocketted finials, flying buttresses; octagonal spire with 4 lucarnes, weathervane finial. Cast-iron rainwater goods, rectangular downpipes and decorative hoppers. Steeply pitched roofs, pentice roof to aisles.

W ELEVATION: entrance porch to left, base course, multiple-moulded arch with nook shafts, 2 trefoil panels above, saddleback coping with cross finial; aisle to right with 4 windows, 5 clerestorey windows; transept to far right, geometric traceried window with hoodmould, 3 stepped ventilator openings to roofspace, door to left return, semi-octagonal stairtower to right re-entrant with door and 3 windows; apse to outer right, Y-traceried window.

E ELEVATION: aisle to right with 5 windows, 5 clerestorey windows; transept to left as at W elevation but with stack to left angle, single storey, pyramidal-roofed hall advanced from left angle, 2-leaf door, fleche, small modern addition, window to apse at far left.

N ELEVATION: base course, 3-light geometric window, louvred vesica to gablehead, cross finial, window to aisles.

S ELEVATION: apse with facetted roof to centre, church hall to right with lower linking bay.

INTERIOR: of exceptional quality. Lightly tooled ashlar; 5-bay nave, quatrefoil piers, multiple moulded Gothic arches, hammerbeam roof with braces rising from long wall shafts with variously sculpted corbels; clustered piers at crossing; stone bowl and stem font; marble altar with inlaid floral decoration, marble trefoil-headed reredos with large crucifix flanked by figures in niches, trefoil-headed piscina and sedilia; oak choirstalls with poppyhead finials; timber transeptual screens with iron grille to upper part, carved intrados and parapet; Lady chapel, altar with sculpted vine decoration and polished Peterhead granite panel, mosaic reredos and cross, figure in niche above, piscina with large sculpted cill panel of lamb; border glazed windows; timber rib-vaulted ceiling with boarded panels. 2-manual and pedal organ, John R Miller, Dundee, in (ecclesiastical) N transept, fan vaulted organ case.

GATEPIERS AND BOUNDARY WALL: 4 ashlar and bull-faced, pyramidal-capped gatepiers with quadrants, rubble boundary wall with rounded coping to N and E.

Statement of Special Interest

All Souls; is an ecclesiastical building in use as such. The church is part of a B group with the Old Rectory, the Old Rectory Former Coach House/Stables, Invergowrie Primary School (earlier and later buildings), The Old School House, and St Columba's Church and Hall. An Episcopal mission was founded in 1885, and the present building erected and endowed under the patronage of Frances, Lady Kinnaird of Rossie Priory as a memorial to her husband (10th Baron Kinnaird) and other members of her family. The church was opened in 1891 and consecrated in 1896. The altar and reredos were removed here from the chapel at Rossie Priory (the 11th Baron, Arthur Fitzgerald Kinnaird who acceded in 1887, was not an Episcopalian, and for some years an Episcopal chapel was set up at 1 Parkview Terrace, Knapp).

References

Bibliography

Enid Gauldie, THE QUARRIES AND THE FEUS, A HISTORY OF INVERGOWRIE (1981), p80; Lawrence Melville, THE FAIR LAND OF GOWRIE (1939), p187 (erroneously cites Blair as the architect and the date 1891); DUNDEE ADVERTISER, 26th March 1896; SCOTTISH EPISCOPAL CHURCH YEAR BOOK (1959); information ex Lady Kinnaird.

About Listed Buildings

Listing is the way that a building or structure of special architectural or historic interest is recognised by law through the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest using the criteria published in the Historic Environment Scotland Policy Statement.

The statutory listing address is the legal part of the listing. The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The planning authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historicenvironment.scot. Since 1 October 2015 we have been able to exclude items from a listing. If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.

If you want to alter, extend or demolish a listed building you need to contact your planning authority to see if you need listed building consent. The planning authority is the main point of contact for all applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot. You can contact us on 0131 668 8716 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to INVERGOWRIE, MAIN STREET, ALL SOULS' EPISCOPAL CHURCH, INCLUDING GATEPIERS AND BOUNDARY WALLS

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 17/11/2018 06:34