Listed Building

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site only. All other information in the record is not statutory.

BRIDGE OF WEIR, RANFURLY CASTLE GOLF CLUBHOUSELB12779

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
29/11/1988
Local Authority
Renfrewshire
Planning Authority
Renfrewshire
Parish
Kilbarchan
NGR
NS 38153 65398
Coordinates
238153, 665398

Description

J A Campbell, 1904-5. 3-storey and attic, asymmetrical, 6-bay Arts and Crafts golf clubhouse overlooking golf course to W. Red brick at ground and 1st floors; contrasting render at 2nd floor. Band course above 1st floor. Irregular fenestration. Predominantly single, 2- and 4-light window openings; some canted window openings. Flat-roofed attic dormers. Full height canted stair tower to S elevation.

W (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: asymmetrical with advanced end bays. Central recessed 4-bays with raised terrace; steps lead to course. Off-centre rectangular timber entrance door to left. Canted windows at 2nd floor. Bay to far left with canted window at 1st and 2nd storeys; jerkin-headed gable. Bay to far right with canted and corbelled window at 1st and 2nd floors; piend-roof balcony at attic supported by pair of columns.

E (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: asymmetrical. Off-centre round-arched stone entrance opening leading to part-glazed inner swing doors; pair of distinctive, cylindrical, stained glass windows above with deep timber cornice. Advanced end bays; that to left with half timbering to upper storey.

INTERIOR: (seen, 2013). Original room layout largely extant. Staircase with slatted timber balusters with small incised heart decoration motif and timber banister. One room with exposed timber rafters and brick fire-surround with semi-circular opening and timber mantelpiece. Some timber panel doors with 3-light openings to upper section.

Predominantly timber casement windows with multi-pane glazing pattern; some replacements. Picture windows at 2nd floor at W. Mansard roof, grey slates, mid-roof shouldered stacks with red fireclay chimney cans.

Statement of Special Interest

Ranfurly Golf Club is a striking building with a variety of Arts and Crafts details. The red brick at the lower level, canted stair tower and upper level viewing balcony are distinctive period features. The building was purpose built as a golf club house and the room layout is relatively little altered from its inception. There are larger windows at 2nd floor level provided to view the golf course. There was originally a balcony in front of these windows, but this was removed some time in the 20th century. The north gable has also been raised.

The clubhouse and course opened in 1905. The club itself dates from 1889 and the previous course is now occupied by the Old Ranfurly Golf Club. There was originally a flat in the attic storey, occupied by the Club Master, but this area is now predominantly used for storage.

Scotland is intrinsically linked with the sport of golf and it was the birthplace of the modern game played over 18 holes.

The 'Articles and Laws in Playing Golf', a set of rules whose principles still underpin the game's current regulations, were penned in 1744 by the Company of Gentlemen Golfers (now The Honourable Company of Edinburgh Golfers). Improved transport links and increased leisure time as well as a rise in the middle classes from the mid 19th century onwards increased the popularity of the sport with another peak taking place in the early 1900s.

The sociable aspect of the game encouraged the building of distinctive clubhouses with bar and restaurant facilities. Purpose-built clubhouses date from the mid-nineteenth century onwards, previously clubs had used villas or rooms in an inn near to the course. Earlier clubhouses were typically enlarged in stages as the popularity of the game increased throughout the 19th and 20th century.

At the time of writing (2013), the governing body for amateur golf in Scotland, the Scottish Golf Union (SGU), reported around 550 golf courses in Scotland, representing a total membership of approximately 236,000 golf club members. Scotland has produced a number of famous golf sporting personalities - historically, Old Tom Morris (1821-1908) and James Braid (1870-1950) were the pioneers of their time.

John Archibald Campbell (1859-1909) was one of Glasgow's most successful architects at the turn of the 20th century. Born in Glasgow, he became a partner in the architectural firm of Burnet Son and Campbell from 1886-1897 and was leading designer of city commercial buildings. Outside architecture, one of his main interests was golf and he built a house for himself and three other bachelor golfing friends, also in Bridge of Weir (Brannochlie - see separate listing) in order to enjoy the game.

Category changed from B to C and list description updated as part of the sporting buildings thematic study (2012-13).

References

Bibliography

3rd Edition Ordnance Survey Map (1915-16). F. A. Walker, South Clyde Estuary, (1986) p85. Other information courtesy of members.

About Listed Buildings

Listing is the way that a building or structure of special architectural or historic interest is recognised by law through the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest using the criteria published in the Historic Environment Scotland Policy Statement.

The statutory listing address is the legal part of the listing. The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The planning authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historicenvironment.scot. Since 1 October 2015 we have been able to exclude items from a listing. If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.

If you want to alter, extend or demolish a listed building you need to contact your planning authority to see if you need listed building consent. The planning authority is the main point of contact for all applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot. You can contact us on 0131 668 8716 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to BRIDGE OF WEIR, RANFURLY CASTLE GOLF CLUBHOUSE

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 14/11/2018 00:13